file has become read only,how can i get full permissions back.

bygum

Hello,
A workbook I have been using to supply data to my front end vb.net project(it fills in a list box) has suddenly become read only.If I try to modify the file it allows that but when I come to save it I get all of this read only stuff and the only way I can save changes is by saving the file under another name.I use this file 50 or more times a day so I cant go changing the name every 5 minutes.
When the file is closed I was told to right click and properties>attributes..and unclick the Read-only box,trouble is the box is already unclicked.
also been to security and all the system permission are ticked.
Not too sure how this became a read only file but any suggestions how to unlock this setting woukld be appreciated.
Kind regards
bygum

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Try this

The easiest way to move on is to save the spreadsheet in another folder and work on it from there.
Then you're at least again.

Writing protection is a feature of the file system, and as such it is independent of Excel as such.

Try opening a folder of spreadsheets in Explorer, right-click one of the sheets and select Properties.
Here is a point 'Writing protected'. It has a checkmark if that property is set in the file system. Remove it and you can rewrite it.

What may have put the write protection on a whole folder-rich file is mysterious -
unless it's a Explorer error, where you've read a folder and all the files in it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnaRisso

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back