Filter 3 latest months with one month value

kingtoni

I have a report in Excel with month filter based on my powerpivot data model. I'd like to show 3 latest months on my report all the time.
- When user filters report with month 112015, I'd like to show months 112015, 102015 and 092015
- When user filters report with month 022015, I'd like to show months 022015, 012015 and 122014

I tried with top 3 values in my filter but it doesn't work when user wants to change month.

What kind of formula I need to create in my powerpivot to get this to work?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
You can try with a below measure:

CALCULATE (
[Your measure],
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Date'[PERIOD NO] ),
'Date'[PERIOD NO] >= MAX( 'Date'[PERIOD NO] ) -3
)
)

But before this you should do a mapping (can be in related table 'DATE')

'DATE' table
DATE PERIOD NO
012014 1
022014 2
122014 12
012015 13

Alternatively you can group your months by quarters and allow user to filter by quarter.
Lets say, filtering Q1 will show 01,02,03 months in a pivot

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've tried to use your formula but it doesn't work for me. I have a date table in my model and I have linked these tables. I created max-measure for month and use that in my filter. I can use filter as range and it works. Only thing is that I have to set two months in my filter and I can set what ever range I want. Also filter have figure like 102099 because it contains numbers from min and max month

Grouping is not the answer because I want to view any month and -3.

Upvote 0
We do not know what you have because you did not share it. How is your data model look like?
That was just example with a logic. Should be customised to work with your model.

Upvote 0
I have two tables in my data model. Fact table and calendar table. I have sales data per month in fact table. I have made a calculated column for data and made a relationship with that column.

My problem with you example formula is that I cannot reduce -3 from my month. I have to do that from my data field. What happens when I do the following 201501 -3 = 201498? That is not a month in my data.

I understand your formula but I don't YET know how to get that to work in my data model.

How about I make max and min measures for month and calculate difference? Is there any idea?

Upvote 0
'DATE' table
DATE PERIOD NO

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sorry, I did not paste it properly. Maybe now it is more readable

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back