Filter all but one middle row

kate61487

I have a list which I would like to be able to filter while leaving one merged row/cell in the center always visible. Is this possible?

Essentially I have a data set sorted by date. I have reports of an issue prior to a corporate communication going out and then after. I would like to be able to filter the list by location (one state or several) while leaving the merged row/cell visible so that I can tell, at a glance, which reports/how many reports were received prior to the communication and then after. I've put together an example, but can't get to pic hosting websites at work and apparently can't paste screenshots or attach images directly so I've recreated as best I can below:

Raw Data:
Record Number

<tbody>
</tbody>
Date
Address

<tbody>
</tbody>
State
2016-0111/1/16504 Piney PlCA
2017-012/3/1751 Star Cliff Ct. IN
--------mergedrow (communication issued)-----
2017-025/27/17765 Halyard Ln.CA

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I would like to display when filtering for CA:
Record Number

<tbody>
</tbody>
Date
Address

<tbody>
</tbody>
State
----------mergedrow (communication issued)-----

<tbody>
</tbody>

What is actually displayed when filtering for CA:
Record Number

<tbody>
</tbody>
Date
Address

<tbody>
</tbody>
State

<tbody>
</tbody>

I appreciate any suggestions!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Since the filter operates on the principal of hiding all rows in the filter range except those which meet the filter criteria, your Merge Row would need to have the filter critera entered in the filter range to remain visible.

Upvote 0
so no way to exclude a row or lock a row or tell the filter the range is A1:D3 and A5:D5 but not A4:D4? (I didn't really figure there was, but you never know the work arounds some people have figured out)

Upvote 0
As long as D4 is blank is blank you could filter on CA and Blanks

Upvote 0
Thanks, Fluff. The only downside to doing state + blanks is with a full listing of states it's much easier to type in what you're trying to filter to than to scroll and there's no way (to my knowledge) to type the filter and select blanks on one go (would have to finish the filter then go back in to add blanks).

I may un-merge the row and type in all possible values in the fields most likely to be the columns filtered, then format text to make it invisible so that a typed filter would always include that row too. it will look a little messy on the filter drop down, but may be my easiest solution.

Upvote 0
In the filter select Text filter > Custom Filter > equals > CA > or > equals > ok

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back