Filter Question

ryguylears

I was hoping there is a way to filter by date if I have multiple dates in a cell. My most recent entries are on the top of the cell and I want to be able to filter by anything thats 20 days or older on the top line. See below for my entries.

11/1/21: Rev 1 bid submitted
10/22/21: Hard bid submitted
10/1/21: Budget submitted.

Thats what one cell looks like with multiple entries, and I want to be able to filter for anything that is older than 20 days based on the most recent entry the on the top line (in red).

Is this possible or would I have to have individual cells for each entry?

Thank you

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Is this possible or would I have to have individual cells for each entry?
It may be possible but being realistic, it would be far from practical. Personally, I wouldn't even waste time attempting to make it work.

Stick to the rule 1 date 1 cell and everything will work fine. Make note that I specifically said 1 date 1 cell. There should be nothing else in that cell, only the date. Your example should populate 6 cells, 3 rows, 2 columns.

Upvote 0
I figured but if i did this, it would make the sheet VERY lengthy and cumbersome as I have thousands of entries with multiple dates. Just looking for a quick fix solution

Upvote 0
it would make the sheet VERY lengthy and cumbersome
Your existing way is making it cumbersome. There are no justifiable reasons for such a badly laid out data set.
As soon as you put something in a cell with a date, it is no longer a date, it can not be compared to a date, it can not be filtered as part of a date range.

If you're insistent on using such a bad layout then you could try using a formula in an adjacent column to attempt to convert the first part to a proper date, then filter on the formula column.
Assuming first cell with data is A2, edit as needed.
Excel Formula:
=DATEVALUE(LEFT(A2,SEARCH(":",A2)-1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back