Find column index

PabloEscobar

I am trying to return the column index/letter of a column in sheet2(called SID). Somewhere in the range of A1:Z500 there is only 1 cell that contains the word "Filter Flag". I simply need to find the row column that this word appears in.

I have tried =MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!A1:Z500,0) but that returns #N/A. I've also tried the following long nested if statement to search over each row individually and see if it contains the word and simply return the letter, but that comes back with #N/A also. I think I may have the syntax wrong of the formula?

=IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!A1:A500,0)>0,"A",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!B1:B500,0)>0,"B",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!C1:C500,0)>0,"C",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!D1:D500,0)>0,"D",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!E1:E500,0)>0,"E",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!F1:F500,0)>0,"F",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!G1:G500,0)>0,"G",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!H1:H500,0)>0,"H",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!I1:I500,0)>0,"I",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!J1:J500,0)>0,"J",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!K1:K500,0)>0,"K",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!L1:L500,0)>0,"L",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!M1:M500,0)>0,"M",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!N1:N500,0)>0,"N",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!O1:O500,0)>0,"O",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!P1:P500,0)>0,"P",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!Q1:Q500,0)>0,"Q",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!R1:R500,0)>0,"R",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!S1:S500,0)>0,"S",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!T1:T500,0)>0,"T",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!U1:U500,0)>0,"U",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!V1:V500,0)>0,"V",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!W1:W500,0)>0,"W",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!X1:X500,0)>0,"X",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!Y1:Y500,0)>0,"Y",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!Z1:Z500,0)>0,"Z",0))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Funny thing is I've tested it when I know this word is in column R, and the above formula returns N/A. I also tried =IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!Q1:Q100)>0,"Q",IF(MATCH("Filter Flag",SID!R1:R500)>0,"R",0)) to test it and even though I know it's in column R for this test, it returns N/A for some reason.

Any help or advice on how to find the column letter of the "Filter Flag" text please?

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Re: Trivial question to find column index

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,MIN(IF(SID!A1:Z500="Filter Flag",COLUMN(SID!A1:Z500)-COLUMN(SID!A1)+1)),4),1,"")

Upvote 0

Try this Vba script:
Code:
Sub Find_Me()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim c As Range

For Each c In Range("A1:Z500")
        If c.Value = "Filter Flag" Then MsgBox "Filter Flag found in column  " & c.Column: Exit Sub
    Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Try this Vba script:
Code:
Sub Find_Me()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim c As Range

For Each c In Range("A1:Z500")
        If c.Value = "Filter Flag" Then MsgBox "Filter Flag found in column  " & c.Column: Exit Sub
    Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
You forgot to have the range reference the worksheet the OP said contain the search word (name is SID). If the OP ends up wanting a VBA solution, here is a UDF (user defined function) that he can use to obtain the column letter designation...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Function FilterFlagCol() As String
  FilterFlagCol = Split(Sheets("SID").UsedRange.Find("Filter Flag", , xlValues, xlWhole, , , False, , False).Address(1, 0), "$")(0)
End Function[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0

Thanks, you are a legend!

You are welcome.

Care to give me an ELI5 explanation of it please?

The IF bit delivers a column number when a cell in A1:Z500 is equal to the string filter flag. The expression COLUMN(SID!A1:Z500)-COLUMN(SID!A1)+1 delivers the relative column number, while here an absolute column number, given by COLUMN(SID!A1:Z500), would be ok too.

MIN returns the smallest from the column numbers IF returns (Mind you, IF might return one or more column numbers.)

The smallest column number is fed to ADDRESS which yields something like R1. SUBSTITUTE deletes 1 from that result, yielding R, the column letter we are after.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davinroach

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back