Find Numbers in a Bill of Material

nick99_in

Hi All,
The subject line does not do justice to what i am asking for, but here is my question.
I have a table in worksheet one.
Column A has list of components, starting from row # 2
From column B to D, in row 1 i have the parent part numbers these components go into.
Some components go into all the parent part numbers and some only in one.

Example of a pen:
Green Pen Red Pen Black Pen
Cap 1 1 1
Cartridge 1 1 1
Green Ink 1
Red Ink 1
Black Ink 1
Cover 1 1
Product Sticker 2 1

Here is what i want to do,
On sheet two, if i put the component number in a row, the column next to it should tell me which all parts does that componente go into and how many times.

Is there a way to do this?
Any help would be appreciated.
Nick

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
It would help if you had provided an example of a correct answer. The copy/paste of data loses your table layout and you aren't reflecting numbers. Makes it a bit difficult to understand - so I'm guessing a bit here.
My first question: Why not just look at the data table and get your answer? Or do you want ALL the answers in a single column? If that's the case - you'll need a macro.
But, if you just want another way of looking at the data - a simple solution is to use a pivot table. Problem - it will still list the items where the use is zero for the components - But it does summarize in a thinner table.

<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 350px; height: 137px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 98pt;" span="2" width="131"> <col style="width: 28pt;" width="38"> <tbody><tr style="height: 13.1pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl22" style="height: 13.1pt; width: 98pt;" width="131" height="17">Black Ink</td> <td class="xl22" style="width: 98pt;" width="131">Count of Green Pen</td> <td class="xl25" style="width: 28pt;" x:num="" width="38" align="right">0</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 13.1pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl23" style="height: 13.1pt;" height="17">
</td> <td class="xl24">Count of Red Pen</td> <td class="xl26" x:num="" align="right">0</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 13.1pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl23" style="height: 13.1pt;" height="17">
</td> <td class="xl24">Count of Black Pen</td> <td class="xl26" x:num="" align="right">1</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 13.1pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl22" style="height: 13.1pt;" height="17">Cap</td> <td class="xl22">Count of Green Pen</td> <td class="xl25" x:num="" align="right">1</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 13.1pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl23" style="height: 13.1pt;" height="17">
</td> <td class="xl24">Count of Red Pen</td> <td class="xl26" x:num="" align="right">1</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 13.1pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl23" style="height: 13.1pt;" height="17">
</td> <td class="xl24">Count of Black Pen</td> <td class="xl26" x:num="" align="right">1</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Upvote 0
Starl,
this Bill of Material i am talking about is a very complex sheet.
I cannot use lookup since it is only applicable to look up one value across a table and give me one value in return. i am looking for a 'LOOP' option.
I have pictures of my example with me, but i dont know how to upload them. i am looking for an attachment option but cannot find it.
Can you help me out here?
Nick

Upvote 0
We don't allow attachments to be uploaded at the board.

I wasn't suggesting a lookup - but a pivot table.

Lookups are limiting - yet then can also be a bit complex. A lookup can be 2D - matching a row and column to return a value, as long as we can help it find the row and column.

Upvote 0
I dont think lookups are going to work. I have tried them already. Makes the table too long and messy.

I think a search-loop function code in VB is the answer.
Unfortunately i dont have VB knowledge.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back