Find Smallest Decimal Place in Range

Pistoleiro

Hi All,

I've got a problem that I think may be solvable with an array function, however I'm struggling to think of how to put it together and thought y'all would be able to help. My general task is that I'm trying to determine the data type (string, integer, double, etc..) of certain fields in a large file however I'm having trouble determining the amount of precision required, specifically for doubles. In order to do this I need a formula that finds the smallest decimal place used in the range. I can do this in VBA however I was wondering if someone knows of a way using formulas in excel. Example of what I require below:

<tbody>
</tbody>

The formula would have to look through the above range and determine that row 4 has the most of decimal places as it goes to 100,000'ths so the formula would return 5.
I've got a lot of data to look through so I am looking for something that can work the entire range rather than row by row.

Thanks,

Nick

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response, never realised mod and len could be used in such a way. Shame mod turns 15.51588 to .5158799999999999999. Is there any way to get round this?

Upvote 0
Try this one (MOD is better but has a problem with fioating point).

=MAX(LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1:A6,TRUNC(A1:A6)&"","",1))-1)

use CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Upvote 0
Thanks Bill, Figures you'd have to get excel to treat a number as text in order to find decimal places haha.

Appreciate your help with this saved me from a great deal of trawling through data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back