Find text string Across Multiple Cells in a Row

alex0182828

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi,

I want to see if a text string is contained in any the text in any cell in a row i tried :

=FIND("gift",A3:U3,1)

Did not work. I tried defining a name for the range and putting it where there range is in the formula, also did not work.

Any ideas for doing this in a formula ? I feel like it should be so simple !

Thanks. All

I think this formula does what you want...

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"C","F","P"},C19&D19&E19&F19&G19&H19&I19*J19)),"",B19)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Thanks so much. This doesn't seem to work. No matter what is populated in cells C through J, this always provides the string from B. This should provide the string only if NONE of C, F, or P appears in C-J.

I think this formula does what you want...

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"C","F","P"},C19&D19&E19&F19&G19&H19&I19*J19)),"",B19)

Upvote 0
Thanks so much. This doesn't seem to work. No matter what is populated in cells C through J, this always provides the string from B. This should provide the string only if NONE of C, F, or P appears in C-J.
I must not be understanding what you mean by "NONE of C, F, or P"... my formula assumed you meant that you wanted to see the contents of B19 as long as C19:J19 did not contain a C or an F or a P anywhere in the range. In other words, if C19:J19 looked something like this...

A-B-D-E-G-H-I-J

then show B19, but if it looked like this...

A-B-C-E-G-H-I-J

or this...

A-B-D-E-F-H-I-J

or like this...

A-B-D-E-G-H-I-P

or like this...

A-C-D-F-G-H-I-P

etc., then do not show B19. Can you show us, using similar examples, what you actually wanted?

Upvote 0
This is exactly right.
I must not be understanding what you mean by "NONE of C, F, or P"... my formula assumed you meant that you wanted to see the contents of B19 as long as C19:J19 did not contain a C or an F or a P anywhere in the range. In other words, if C19:J19 looked something like this...

A-B-D-E-G-H-I-J

then show B19, but if it looked like this...

A-B-C-E-G-H-I-J

or this...

A-B-D-E-F-H-I-J

or like this...

A-B-D-E-G-H-I-P

or like this...

A-C-D-F-G-H-I-P

etc., then do not show B19. Can you show us, using similar examples, what you actually wanted?

Upvote 0
Hello. I am new to this group so please let me know if I have posted in the wrong place.

Each row of my report contains a plethora of contact info for each person including their business contact info (H:L). Although all business data is always in cells H:L, it's not always entered the same way.

IF $H$2:$L$2 contains the text "McDonalds" AND the text "Miami", I want the result listed in $M$2 - "Miami McDonalds Empoloyee" if true, "" if false.

ABHIJKLM
1FirstLastBUS_1BUS_2BUS_3BUS-4BUS-5
2MaryJaneMcDonalds123 Park St., Miami, FLCashier
3AmyLouBurger KingManager889 Fast LaneBolder, Colorado 99869
4JohnBolderAssistant ManagerCorporate Store - McDonaldsReports to Lary Johnson323 5th St. WestMiami, FL 12345
5KarenLongLine CookFranchise - Burger KingFranchise Store9263 Timbucktoo, Salt Lake City, UT 99887

<colgroup><col><col span="2"><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0
This equation works: =IF(AND(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF(H2:L2,"*McDonalds*")),ISNUMBER(COUNTIF(H2:L2,"*Miami*"))),"Miami McDonalds Employee")
You can ask questions the way you did in an existing thread or start a new thread.

Hello. I am new to this group so please let me know if I have posted in the wrong place.

Each row of my report contains a plethora of contact info for each person including their business contact info (H:L). Although all business data is always in cells H:L, it's not always entered the same way.

IF $H$2:$L$2 contains the text "McDonalds" AND the text "Miami", I want the result listed in $M$2 - "Miami McDonalds Empoloyee" if true, "" if false.

ABHIJKLM
1FirstLastBUS_1BUS_2BUS_3BUS-4BUS-5
2MaryJaneMcDonalds123 Park St., Miami, FLCashier
3AmyLouBurger KingManager889 Fast LaneBolder, Colorado 99869
4JohnBolderAssistant ManagerCorporate Store - McDonaldsReports to Lary Johnson323 5th St. WestMiami, FL 12345
5KarenLongLine CookFranchise - Burger KingFranchise Store9263 Timbucktoo, Salt Lake City, UT 99887

<tbody>
</tbody>
Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you johnchimento. This was a great start. When I copied the formula down the row, it told me that everyone was a "Miami McDonalds Employee". I played with relative and absolute references but it did not make a difference.

I have also since discovered that I need to include an OR formula as well. I've attempted to add it, but it doesn't seem to be working. I need find BOTH phrases, "Miami" and "McDonalds" in H2:L2 OR AB:AH. It cannot be "Miami" found in H2:L2 and "McDonalds" found in AB:AH. If result is not found, it's ok for #N/A to be displayed.

This equation works: =IF(AND(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF(H2:L2,"*McDonalds*")),ISNUMBER(COUNTIF(H2:L2,"*Miami*"))),"Miami McDonalds Employee")
You can ask questions the way you did in an existing thread or start a new thread.

Upvote 0
This will give you a FALSE result if it doesn't meet the criteria, should work now:
=IF(AND(ISNUMBER(IF(COUNTIF(H2:L2,"*McDonalds*")>0,1)),ISNUMBER(IF(COUNTIF(H2:L2,"*Miami*")>0,1))),"Miami McDonalds Employee")

Thank you johnchimento. This was a great start. When I copied the formula down the row, it told me that everyone was a "Miami McDonalds Employee". I played with relative and absolute references but it did not make a difference.

I have also since discovered that I need to include an OR formula as well. I've attempted to add it, but it doesn't seem to be working. I need find BOTH phrases, "Miami" and "McDonalds" in H2:L2 OR AB:AH. It cannot be "Miami" found in H2:L2 and "McDonalds" found in AB:AH. If result is not found, it's ok for #N/A to be displayed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back