Find the group an item belongs to

abaker77

Office Version
  1. 365
I am looking for a non-VBA solution, i.e. an Excel formula, that can find the group to which an item belongs. Put another way, I need to find the contents of the 1st row in a given column.
An image of what this looks like is attached - there is a table of codes (items, if you will) and the column headers are the Groups.
The idea is to enter a code into cell C2, then find (or lookup) the corresponding group (1st cell) to which that code belongs. The formula for this would be in cell C3. So in my example, code594 is in GroupD, so the formula in C3 should return the result GroupD.
It is possible that the code entered in C2 may be duplicated in the table, but in this case, I would just expect the 1st column that has that code to be returned.
If there was a way to find the column # of the code entered in C2, then I guess you could find the contents of the 1st cell in the applicable column, i.e. Group, but I can't figure it out.
Thank you so much !

Attachments

• find group.JPG
    find group.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 75
OMG - what's an order of magnitude beyond 'BRILLIANT' ? Because that's what your solution is.
Thank you so much.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Thanks and nice to hear it works.
That request is not too complicate. Its typical using of AGGREGATE function, upgraded from Ex2010 and later.

Upvote 0
What is an order of magnitude beyond "Brilliant?" Because that's what your solution is.
THANK YOU.

Upvote 0
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Find an item's group using a formula - no VBA, no Power Query
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Afua

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back