First non-empty cell from a row array returns the value of the cell above

Crane

Hello Excel Gurus,

I need your help, please. I am trying to create a time plan in Excel. I got two columns, one says "Start", the other "End". I'd like to have these two cells automatically filled out when a first non-empty cell is detected in an array - i want it to pick up or "echo" the value of the cell I choose. Please check this table:

StartEnd8.58.68.78.88.98.10
Site 18.58.8xxxx
Site 28.78.10xxxx
Site 38.68.8xxx
Site 48.98.10xx

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thank you very much in advance.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Welcome to the Board!

I think this is more difficult than it needs to be because of how you have set up the data.
In mathematical terms, 8.10 is less than 8.5. So you cannot easily use basic mathematical formulas, unless you were to change your data.
Is there any ability to change the structure, so the values are like: 8.05, 8.06, 8.07, 8.08, 8.09, 8.10, so that simple math can be used?

Upvote 0
Many thanks, Joe4, for the feedback.

Actually the numbers are dates. 8.10 means August 10 and so on. What I'd like to happen is that the first non-empty cell in the row array triggers the upper cell to be "echoed" or shown in the "start" cell. Same for the "End" cell being the last non-empty cell in the array. It should look like this (column 2 and 3 with the formula to fetch value, which is the date, above when a non-empty cell in an array is detected):

StartEndAugust 5August 6August 7August 8August 9August 10
Site 1August 5August 8xxxx
Site 2August 7August 10xxxx
Site 3August 6August 8xxx
Site 4August 9August 10xx

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Are all those dates actual date entries?
If they are, and they are not text, then we can use formulas like this (assuming the data grid above is in ranges A1:I5):
enter in cell D2:
Code:
=IF(AND(D$1>=$B2,D$1<=$C2),"x","")
and copy down to I5

Upvote 0
Sorry for the confusion, Joe4 and thanks once again for your help here.

Based on your formula above, it will fill out cells D2 to I5. The opposite is actually what I'm trying to accomplish. D2 to I5 will manually be filled out depending on the timeline of the site. For example, on the 2nd row, when I put an "x" in cell E2 until I2, cell B2 should show the date August 6 as it is the first non-empty cell in that row array. Cell C2 on the other hand, will show August 10 because the last non-empty cell in that row array is cell I2.

So objective is to actually have the values of cell B2 to C5 to automatically be filled out with the date based on the first and last non-empty cell in a given row array.

Upvote 0
OK. That is much harder. I did a bunch of Google Searches and was able to cobble these formulas together for you (so please don't ask him how they work, I just played around with solutions I found on the internet).

Start (place in cell B2 and copy down to B5):
Code:
=IF(COUNTA(D2:I2),INDEX(D$1:I$1,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(D2:I2<>"",0),0)),"")

End (place in cell C2 and copy down to C5):
Code:
=OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(), LOOKUP(2, 1/(2:2<>""), COLUMN(1:1)))),1-ROW(),0,1,1)

There may be simpler options (especially with the second one), but these seem to work!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can't thank you enough, Joe4. I haven't tried it as I'm away from my PC but I get the feeling formula above will fix my trouble. I'll keep you posted!

Upvote 0
Start works really well! Thanks a lot!

I am having problems with the End one and I am not quite sure what part of it to edit. My cell C2 in the actual spreadsheet is U20, running until U216. Which part of the script should I replace given this?

Upvote 0
I don't have your layout, but keeping the layout Joe used, and his formula in column B, try this one for column C & see if you can adapt to your layout.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHI
1StartEnd5 Aug6 Aug7 Aug8 Aug9 Aug10 Aug
2Site 15 Aug8 Augxxxx
3Site 27 Aug10 Augxxxx
4Site 36 Aug8 Augxxx
5Site 4
6Site 59 Aug10 Augxx
Start End Dates

Upvote 0
You guys are amazing! Thank you, Peter, Joe! Formula for "end" part works flawlessly! Now my plan is complete :)

Please if anyone can close this thread, issue resolved!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back