Format Painter and Formatting Issue

Mcook13

I am having an issue with formatting on my table.

I copy a row from one sheet (downloaded from online) and paste into another sheet on my table. If I paste using match destination format or values only it pastes the way I want to and doesn't affect the formatting. If I paste like normal (Ctrl+V) or enable editing in the downloaded sheet then copy and paste, the format changes. I tried format painter, but it doesn't change to the format I want. However the weird thing is I click on the cell to edit it (F2 or double click cell) and select or enter out of it, it changes to the correct format.

Any thoughts as to why it does that?

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
If you mean like a number shown as text, or a text shown as number that does not change when you change the formatting of the cell, sorry to tell you that, but that is kind of a bug in excel, and you really have to workaround it. You can past the data as values(just the way you were doing), or you can create a macro to correct the formatting, so you would paste it, than run this macrrect to correct everything, but the first option is still simpler and better.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back