Formating fractions in Excel

sminabe

Hi,
I know how to use the fraction format, but it displays the fraction as, for example,11 3/4, where the fraction (3/4) is displayed as the same font size as the integer, 11. What I want is for the fraction, 3/4, to be smaller font than the integer, 11, AND that the 3 be above the 4 not on the same horizontal level. I can't seem to show it in this text editor, but if you go into MS Word and type 11 space 3/4 you'll get exactly what I want, but its in Word not Excel. When I copy/paste the text from Word to Excel it display exactly as I want it BUT the 3/4 is inserted as a symbol not as text or a number.
Any help is appreciated

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
You could write a user defined function (UDF) to achieve this.

It will need to look at the number, create the fractions (I don't think you can use an excel function to do that ) and then format the characters individually.

A UDF is nothing else then a macro that you give a special treatment if you want it to update the cell contents with every recalculation of the spreadsheet.

Your biggest challange will be to find a suitable algorithm to create your fractions, but I am quite sure you can find some with a search.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I know how to use the fraction format, but it displays the fraction as, for example,11 3/4, where the fraction (3/4) is displayed as the same font size as the integer, 11. What I want is for the fraction, 3/4, to be smaller font than the integer, 11, AND that the 3 be above the 4 not on the same horizontal level. I can't seem to show it in this text editor, but if you go into MS Word and type 11 space 3/4 you'll get exactly what I want, but its in Word not Excel. When I copy/paste the text from Word to Excel it display exactly as I want it BUT the 3/4 is inserted as a symbol not as text or a number.
Any help is appreciated

This is a challange I'm facing at work with a spreadsheet. I have formatted the cells to be fractions, but I know nothing about writing code or macros. Can someone explain how I achieve the end result in fairly simple terms or steps? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I don't think this is an easy one. I am very busy at the moment, will try and give you a hand. If you can do some searching to find a calculation method to turn 3.875 into 3 7/8, then I can help you put that into a macro which also formats the 7 to superscript and 8 to subscript.

Upvote 0
Thank you for any help you can give to me. I greatly appreciate it. I fear that not only do I need help with putting it into a macro that formats the fraction(s) correctly, I will need instruction on creating and running a macro as well.

I thought to convert a decimal into a fraction, just formatting the cells to fraction would do the trick, but I will have to try it at work tomorrow. If that fails, I will do research over the weekend to find something that will work.

Upvote 0
If you use the excel formatting to get the decimals, then you are stuck with the excel presentation of 3 7/8

But I assume you want 3 7/8 with the 7 being hiugher than the 8.

For this I need to have a string to manipulate. So you will need to find a formula (I know they exist, just don't heve the time to research) that does this conversion.

Upvote 0
OK, there is a real problem here.

I can make tis work with excel numbers formatted as fraction. But the only way to format it with super & subscript is to convert the number to text, and so it stops bing a number - ie formulas depending on this value return an error.

also I can't get it do do this automatically you would need to select the cell and run the macro to do this, for instance. So not a 'neat' solution. But if it is pure for visuals then it works fine.

Macro:
Code:
Sub FracScript()
   Dim ssstart As Integer, ssfinish As Integer
   ActiveCell.Value = "'" & CStr(ActiveCell.Text)
   ssstart = InStr(ActiveCell.Value, " ") + 1
   ssfinish = InStr(ActiveCell.Value, "/")
   ActiveCell.Characters(start:=ssstart, Length:=ssfinish - ssstart).Font.Superscript = True
   ActiveCell.Characters(start:=ssfinish + 1, Length:=Len(ActiveCell.Value) - ssfinish).Font.Subscript = True
End Sub

put this code in a macro module.
enter your number, format it as fraction (or enter the number as a fraction). select the cell and run the macro.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much. I did hunt for formulas over the weekend and wasn't able to find anything useful. It is purely for visual, so I will give it a try by running a macro in each cell.

Thank you very much for your help and hard work. I very much appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Hi All,
Thanks for following up on this.
I just tried the macro from sijpie and it works well for what I need as text.

If anyone figures out how to maintain the numerical representation let me know.

Thanks again for the support

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back