Formatting Cell Values

mpl34

I am trying to have cell values of 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-....

My guess is this would be most easily achieved through editing the format. I would like it so when I drag the cell containing 1-1 the next cell will have the value 1-2, and the following 1-3 and so on.

Secondly, I would like a cell to be dependent on the value of 2 other cells (both these cells contain drop down lists).

So what I am trying to achieve is that if i select the first value in the list in Cell #1 and the first value in the list in Cell #2... Cell #3 will display 1A. (i.e. if I were to choose the 2nd value in both lists Cell #3 will display 2B). I have shown a little example incase it wasn't clear...

List 1 List 2 Result
Value 1 Value 1 1A
Value 2 Value 1 2A
Value 1 Value 2 1B
Value 4 Value 3 4C
Value 5 Value 2 5B

The values I have listed under result are the actual values I am wanting (not just examples)

Cheers

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I have sloved my 2nd issue by using an index formula.... which although provides the desired outcome is not exactly the solution I was looking for as I did not want to have to reference other cells, but will do.

Still require help on issue #1.

Upvote 0
OK, you already have solutions but ..

For the first issue, that already happens for me when I drag 1-1 it becomes 1-2 etc. How was your 1-1 cell formatted originally?

For the second issue, I don't think you should need INDEX, provided your Data Validation in your 2 target cells reference a list in your workbook. Something along these lines.

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1Value 2Value 42DValue 1
2Value 2
3Value 3
4Value 4
5Value 5
Match Values
#VALUE!

Upvote 0
For the first issue, that already happens for me when I drag 1-1 it becomes 1-2 etc. How was your 1-1 cell formatted originally?

The original formatting kept recognising 1-1 as a date. So when I change the formatting to number it would then recognise 1-1 as 40179. I could then change the format to general but when I re-entered 1-1 it would automatically change the cells format to a date again. The problem was using "-" so by changing the cells format to custom "1-"# I did not have to enter "-" into the cell as it was included by my formatting

Upvote 0
I formatted my first cell as Text before entering the 1-1, then dragged that cell.

Did you try the suggested MATCH formula (instead of INDEX) for the second problem?

Upvote 0
Ok, formatting the cell as txt did solve the problem.

I gone with the index formula. I originally wanted to avoid using reference cells but because I have decided to use drop down boxes to make it easier to use I decided to have a seperate reference sheet anyway

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grifaz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back