Formatting for hours and minutes, etc.

hollyequine

Hi there, I am data dumping from our timekeeping system into Excel 2003. I have associates who worked 41 hours and 55 minutes (41.55) and some that worked 22 hours and 10 minutes (22.10).

Question 1:
How do I format so Excel reads this as 41:55 and 22:10, respectively (NOT in minutes and seconds, I need hours and minutes...)

Question 2:
I need to add these two hour sections together and have Excel recognize the TOTAL time as 64:05 NOT 63.65)

Help please!! :eek:

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi There,

Custom format [h]:mm for the times.
Then add the 2 cells together (=SUM(A1:A2), A1+A2 etc... depends where your cells are) using the same custom format.

HTH
Colin

Upvote 0
With out having to change the Format, you can use
Code:
=DOLLARFR(DOLLARDE(SUM(A2:A3),60),60)
which in your example would display as
64.05. Not sure what you really want!! There may be other ways.
lenze

Upvote 0
Thank you, but I only have the [h]mm:ss format option under special, and I don't want seconds...is this because I am in Excel 2003 vs. 2007 :confused:

This isn't the end of the world, I am just wondering why I don't have that option and it is the one I need! I believe I can add the times once I have them formatted correctly.

Upvote 0
Sorry, big problems, when I format cells as [h]:mm:ss and type in 41.55 in the cell turns into 2/10/1900 1:12:00 PM into my formula bar and <TABLE style="WIDTH: 74pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=98 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 74pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3584; mso-outline-level: 1" width=98><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 22.5pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=30><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 74pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 22.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=98 height=30 x:num="41.55">997:12:00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> in my cell

????????? AGH! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
What are the actual values that you are getting from this 'data dumping?

I don't see how you would be ending up with seconds.:)

Upvote 0
If you already have the times imported as 41.55 then you won't be able to simply reformat (as you found out).

If your "times" are in A2 down then try using a formula in column B to get the values you want, i.e. in B2

=TEXT(A2*100,"00\:00")+0

Now custom format B2 as [h]:mm and you should see the correct time value

Copy down column and then you can do any calculations you want using column B values

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you already have the times imported as 41.55 then you won't be able to simply reformat (as you found out).

If your "times" are in A2 down then try using a formula in column B to get the values you want, i.e. in B2

=TEXT(A2*100,"00\:00")+0

Now custom format B2 as [h]:mm and you should see the correct time value

Copy down column and then you can do any calculations you want using column B values

Thank you Barry!! This worked! Thanks everyone else, what a GREAT resourceful group you are!!! :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back