Formula Display when Cell Selected Interferes with Formula Editing

mharsen

I am using Excel to link to a dynamic database and produce a network map or sorts, but I'm having trouble easily editing the formulas. This is because when I select a cell with the formula I want to edit, the longer formula often covers adjacent cells making them unavailable for selecting. I'd like to see and drag the color-coded boxes around cells, which are referenced in the formula, to other appropriate cells, but the source or target cells are generally obscured by the formula display. Since things can change a lot with this application, ease of editing is very important.

What I would like would be to restrict the display of the formula to the original cell size and arrow back and forth to see different cell references. Alternately, if the formula could be displayed elsewhere (the bar above is fine), with or without cell references highlighted within the formula display, but I definitely want to retain the color-coded boxes around referenced cells so I can drag them around as appropriate.

Currently, I'm forced to either make the cell very large, edit the formula, and return the cell to normal size or I have to enter the cell references "manually" (no dragging). In the image linked below, I can't drag the reference to cell P15 anywhere because cell P15 is obscured by the formula display.

Are there any other options? Thanks, -Mark

exceleditissue.jpg

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
You can turn off in-cell editing to allow editing a cell only in the formula bar. That solves the annoyance for me. If you are used to in-cell editing, it may take some time to become used to the change. I am used to it: it's the second default Excel setting I change on every Windows computer where I have a seat.

The option in 2013 is under File>>Options>>Advanced... under the heading "Editing options". Uncheck "Allow editing directly in cells". I'm unable to check other Excel versions for the option's checkbox location just now, but it's easily available in all versions that I remember, maybe going back to Excel 4.

Upvote 0
That's it! That is exactly what I wanted, but I couldn't find it on any help or web searches.

Sincere Gratitude! -Mark :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smarti1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back