Formula for creating hyperlinks

dgfannon

I have a spreadsheet "Student Data Directory 2013-14.xlsx" where column C is LastName and column D is FirstName. I have folder /Volumes/SHARED/FANNON_JOBS/34899_EHS Directory 2013/Originals/Directory Second Submission/Photo where the files are named "lastname firstname.jpg".

What is the formula that would create a column of hyperlinks to the images in column BP?

Thank you,
-daniel fannon

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
try this

=HYPERLINK("/Volumes/SHARED/FANNON_JOBS/34899_EHS Directory 2013/Originals/Directory Second Submission/Photo/"&B2&" "&C2&".jpg")

Got references wrong here, see answer below

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try this, enter it into BP1, and then copy down as required.

=HYPERLINK("/Volumes/SHARED/FANNON_JOBS/34899_EHS Directory 2013/Originals/Directory Second Submission/Photo/"&c1&" "&d1&".jpg")

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply. This seemingly creates the proper hyperlink, but when I go to open the link I get an unexpected error.

The hyperlink created with the formula is:
/Volumes/SHARED/FANNON_JOBS/34899_EHS Directory 2013/Originals/Directory Second Submission/Photo/Students/Abdul-Jalaal Hadiyyah.jpg

<colgroup><col width="53" style="width:53pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
<!--StartFragment-->
<!--EndFragment-->
</tbody>
The hyperlink created when I manually insert the hyperlink is: Photo/Students/Abdul-Jalaal Hadiyyah.jpg

I don't really need to open from excel as I'm flowing these hyperlinks into another application, but it seems as though i should be able to open them in excel.

Upvote 0
try this...

=HYPERLINK("Photo\Students"&c1&" "&d1&".jpg")

Upvote 0
I tried that as well. I found that on OSX, you need to have everything in the same folder to work properly. Thank you for helping me through the formula. It works once I found the kink on my OS end.

Take care,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back