Formula for selecting content by text and number

LearningExcel1984

Hi all

I'm creating a Spreadsheet for my schools Sports Day. It's quite a simple document, but am trying to automate some of the functions a little, to help my PE department, make the day a little easier.

Problem is I'm stuck on one section, and was hoping for some advice and suggestions.

Currently this is an example of one of the Heat tables (please forgive Harry Potter references as example data).
4XTJwMq.png

4XTJwMq
4XTJwMq

Position and points are generated automatically depending on time. So far so good! (Using Rank and VLookup for that naturally).

However for the finals I need to select the fastest runner from each house. The problem for me however depends on how many pupils actually sign up for events. Some houses may have more pupils than other houses, which has caused me some head aches.

The only constant I do have, is that each table will only have a maximum of 20 pupils. I was playing around with =Index and Match, but with the number of pupils not entirely consistent it is causing some problems.

Any suggestions on possible formulas I can use?

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi,

Enter the array formula in cell F2 by pressing Shift + Control + Enter

=IF(C2=MAX(IF($B$2:$B$21=B2,$C$2:$C$21,0)),MAX(IF($B$2:$B$21=B2,$C$2:$C$21,0)),"")

Kind regards

Saba

Upvote 0
Cross-posting is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules. Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Upvote 0
Sorry, did not realise that was a problem. I won't make that mistake again!

Sorry again, this is a CrossPost from an earlier thread located here.

The problem in full is located in the OP, (I would edit the crosspost bit in but I can't edit posts?)

Upvote 0
Hi,

Enter the array formula in cell F2 by pressing Shift + Control + Enter

=IF(C2=MAX(IF($B$2:$B$21=B2,$C$2:$C$21,0)),MAX(IF($B$2:$B$21=B2,$C$2:$C$21,0)),"")

Kind regards

Saba

Hi thanks for this, I have tried it but unfortunately, the cell just remains blank. Does Excel 2016 Desktop support arrays?

Upvote 0
Hi

I assumed that data is in A1:E21 as given in your table.

if so, enter the array formula into F2 by pressing Shift + Control + Enter. If the formula is entered correctly, the formula will look this:

{=IF(C2=MAX(IF($B$2:$B$21=B2,$C$2:$C$21,0)),MAX(IF($B$2:$B$21=B2,$C$2:$C$21,0)),"")}.

(Do not enter curly brackets manually)

Then copy down the formula from F2 to F21.

Kind regards

Saba

Upvote 0
Hmmmmm

Does not seem to work for me, either typing it manually or copying and pasting.
All that happens is the cell stays blank.

It does show the formula in the bar with the brackets however. Pretty sure I'm pressing cntrl shift enter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back