Formula in dropdown list

aestable

Hello,

I am trying to create a drop-down list based on a (rather complicated) formula, and since the validation rule won't accept a formula, I'm not sure how to proceed. Essentially, I am trying to create a spreadsheet for scheduling staff in various locations, based on their qualifications and availability.

So I have three worksheets:
1) A list of staff members with the areas in which they are qualified to work, e.g.:
Area 1Area 2Area 3
ArchieXX
BarbX
CharlieXXX
DaveXX
EricXX

<tbody>
</tbody>

2) The same list of staff members, with the days of the month on which they are available, e.g.:
Sun 1Mon 2Tue 3Wed 4Thu 5Fri 6
ArchieYYYYYN
BarbNNNNYY
CharlieYNYNYN
DaveNYNYNY
EricYNYNNY

<tbody>
</tbody>

3) A calendar with the different areas, which I have to fill with the names of the staff:
Sun 1Mon 2Tue 3Wed 4Thu 5Fri 6
Area 1ArchieArchieCharlieetc
Area 2CharlieArchie
Area 3EricDaveEric

<tbody>
</tbody>

I am at the point where I do conditional formatting which turns the background red if I enter the name of someone who is unavailable that day. But I would like to have in each cell a drop-down list with the names of the staff who are qualified to work in that area AND who are available that day. Probably a combination of INDEX MATCH and INDEX SMALL ROW, but I'm not quite at that stage yet.

I managed to pull up the list of people by qualification with an array formula that creates a list in a separate cell range, which I define by name and call up in the drop-down, but it's a bit ugly. Can anybody make a suggestion? I'm considering doing that using SQL and database tables, but I would have to develop the entire interface and I'm not quite ready for that - yet...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Regards
Axel

I do not need help, I answered @aestable.
Maybe my answer in English is not well written?

OK, please all visitors to ignore my posts above and download links if there is a security problem

Thanks Navic - that is what I had in mind, except that as I said, with 31 days x 20 assignments I have to create 620 lists, so I was hoping to be able to use the formula directly in the list so I don't have to create 620 named ranges...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back