Formula needed

Aillas

I would be grateful to receive a steer as to the formula to use, where I have a list, that involves 20 names, in 5 different areas identified by an abbreviated label, and those names fall into either T or C types which alter frequently although the area and name does not. I need to produce a total for each T or C according to area. without altering the position of the original data.

I have set out a small array showing name, type and class although in practise the name is irrelevant to the totals needed

NameAreaClass Type St "C"Type St "T" Type Ux "C"Type Ux "T"
JamesStC1
TomUxT1
DonaldStT1
RichardUxT1
Totals1102

<tbody>
</tbody>

Easy to do in old fashioned Basic. I have tried match and index but my lack of expertise with Excel a frustrating handicap.

Many thanks for reading this and if you can help that would be appreciated

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Re: Please Help! Formula needed

Hello,

You can produce your expected output in less than 5 seconds ... by inserting a Pivot Table ... :)

Hope this will help

Upvote 0

Thanks for this but I don't think this is the answer, (even if I possessed the skills to implement) partly because I need the data to work automatically from the source worksheet (which has other information and fields as well as analysis, and feed the totals automatically into yet another more complex worksheet.

I used just the basic bits that needed comparison and totalling in the example.

Upvote 0

Hello,

With your data located in range A1:G5 ... you can test following array formula in cell D2

Code:
=IF(MATCH($B2&" "&$C2,SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A$1:$G$1,"Type ",""),"""",""),0)=COLUMN(),1,"")

Hope this will help

Upvote 0
I would be grateful to receive a steer as to the formula to use, where I have a list, that involves 20 names, in 5 different areas identified by an abbreviated label, and those names fall into either T or C types which alter frequently although the area and name does not. I need to produce a total for each T or C according to area. without altering the position of the original data.

I have set out a small array showing name, type and class although in practise the name is irrelevant to the totals needed

NameAreaClass Type St "C"Type St "T" Type Ux "C"Type Ux "T"
JamesStC1
TomUxT1
DonaldStT1
RichardUxT1
Totals1102

<tbody>
</tbody>

Easy to do in old fashioned Basic. I have tried match and index but my lack of expertise with Excel a frustrating handicap.

Many thanks for reading this and if you can help that would be appreciated

<tbody>
</tbody>

Without seeing the actual tables, references, and data most of us are going to be scratching our heads as this may not be our line of work/thinking.
If you are proficient with Visual Basic then maybe try using a VBA macro?

from what you said i'm thinking you're looking for =sum(range)
that will give you a total of T and C

so try =sum(D2:G2) in column H

Upvote 0
Hello,

Should you only need the red numbers : Totals in row 6 ... you can test following array formula in cell D6 :

Code:
=SUM(IF(MATCH($B2:$B5&" "&$C2:$C5,SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A$1:$G$1,"Type ",""),"""",""),0)=COLUMN(),1,""))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thanks, you are absolutely right, all I needed was the totals in red which in turn I can transfer to another page.

Upvote 0

You are welcome

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikijon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back