formula returning #N/A in one workbook but not another

cjcass

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have two identical workbooks; in one of them the following formula works but in another it returns the #N/A error and I can't figure out why. I appreciate this is probably a difficult one to answer without seeing the files but they conatin sensitive info so I can't share them. I have scoured the data they are reading from for errors, rogue entries etc. but have drawn a complete blank, everything seems identical!! Any ideas of what I could do to try and solve the problem??
Many thanks.

=AVERAGEIF(INDEX('1'!$A$4:$BC$50000,,MATCH($P$12,'1'!$A$3:$BC$3,0)),$P29,'1'!$HJ$4:$HJ$50000)

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
please ignore this post - problem found in the data.

Upvote 0
Hi, you are right in that it is difficult to steer you. My suggestions for what its worth are:
1 Firstly take a copy of each workbook. Close and reopen excel and the 2 copied books to see if the discrepancy remains.
2 Copy/paste special the data only from the working one over the n/a one and see if the result changes (it should do!). If it doesn't, copy/paste special the formats from good to bad.
3 You should also try the reverse and see if that causes the good sheet to go bad.
4 If the data copy changes the result, then there is definitely some erroneous data in the na sheet. I would try chopping the ranges down - try 25000 instead of 50000. If that changes, your bad data is in 25001-50000, so try the next range as 25001 to 37500 - if it doesnt change try the other section (37501 to 50000) then repeat as often as needed - this may sound like it will take forever, but after a few 'slices' you should home in on the faulty bit (this method is called a binary chop and gets you to a 1 line range in at most 16 slices).

Good luck!
John

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back