Formula to calculate the inches given tank size, length, and diameter and gallons per inch

ismailkhowaja

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I want to calculate inches for the number of gallons filled in a tank so I need a formula for that.

Tank size = 6000 Gallons
Size = 96 * 192
1 inch can have 16 gallons (I need a formula for that). For example, if my tank contains 1000 gallons, how many inches is that?

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I can't make sense out of the data you are presenting. If I ignore everything except the last line, then the formula for inches is simply

inches = gallons / 16

If your tank is a rectangle with 96"W and 192"L then each inch of depth gives you 79.8 gallons. I don't know where you are getting 16.

Maybe you need to give a little more information. When you are asking about "inches" I assume you mean "inches of depth."

Upvote 0
I want to calculate inches for the number of gallons filled in a tank so I need a formula for that.

Tank size = 6000 Gallons
Size = 96 * 192
1 inch can have 16 gallons (I need a formula for that). For example, if my tank contains 1000 gallons, how many inches is that?
Hello,

If I have read your post correctly.

If 1 inch of water is 16 gallons: then it is just the number of gallons divided by 16.
If the number of gallons (1000) is in cell B2 - then in another cell the formula is =B2/16

Jamie McMillan

Upvote 0
A tank is voluminous. In order to have volume you need 3 dimensions L x W x H. I think your 6000 gallon tank is 96 x 192 x 375.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response. I have a sheet of paper that have rough calculations of inches and gallons by tank size. attached below might give you a more accurate picture of what I am asking.

how are they calculating that number? so i can create formula for that
1660868535876.png

Upvote 0
I can't make sense out of the data you are presenting. If I ignore everything except the last line, then the formula for inches is simply

inches = gallons / 16

If your tank is a rectangle with 96"W and 192"L then each inch of depth gives you 79.8 gallons. I don't know where you are getting 16.

Maybe you need to give a little more information. When you are asking about "inches" I assume you mean "inches of depth."
Please refer to my last reply of this thread for more information. Thanks

inches = gallons / 16

Please refer to my last reply for more information

Upvote 0
If you are given that a 96 x 192 x 1 = 16 Gallons then 6000/16 = 375 and 1000/16 = 62.5

Upvote 0
Maybe the attached link will help. It will give you the formulas to find the volume of a rectangular, vertical cylinder, or horizontal cylinder tank.

Upvote 0
Perhaps, do you know the actual shape of your tank, I did not see it stated any place and the capacities will vary by shape. I only worked off the numbers you provided. Additionally, we do not know what the tank is filled with. Is it water, gasoline, LNG, or liquid mercury.

Did you bounce your numbers from the pic provided in Post #5 against the link provided in Post #8 and see if you could get any figures that are in agreement with each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hermansoa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back