Formula / VBA to help automate updating cell based on date/value

terrib1e

Here is a very simplified version of what I need help with. I'm trying to update dates people at my company put into our pto calendar in outlook in our availability spreadsheet.

On one worksheet I have a list of names in Column A and a list of dates across Row 1.

1/1/20181/2/20181/3/20181/4/2018
Name 1
Name 2
Name 3
Name 4
Name 5
Name 6
Name 7

<tbody>
</tbody>

In another sheet, I have a list of names and dates being pulled from an outlook calendar. I have a vba pull these appointments and insert them into a separate sheet. It looks similar to -

startend
Name 11/2/20181/4/2018
Name 31/1/20181/2/2018

<tbody>
</tbody>

My end goal is to automatically match these and input a "0" in the first calendar. Ultimately i'd like it to look like -

1/1/20181/2/20181/3/20181/4/2018
Name 10%0%0%
Name 2
Name 30%0%
Name 4
Name 5
Name 6
Name 7

<tbody>
</tbody>

Any help would be super appreciated. I'm trying to automate things as much as possible.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
how much vba do you know? can I just give you concepts? if so,

In your list that you have start and end - for each range in the list:
a) find Name in the Name list of original list and store the row number.
b) find the start date in the row 1 or original list and store the column number
c) do the same for end date.
d) Range(Cells(row_num,Start_Col),Cells(Row_Num,End_col)) = 0

Upvote 0
Admittedly I'm still learning VBA and have really just become "Ok" at piecing various code together like legos. Your notes make sense and I appreciate your help. I'm slowly but surely working my way through each of them and seeing if i can put something together.

Upvote 0
Try this macro:
Code:
Sub terrib1e()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim LastRow As Long
    LastRow = Sheets("Sheet2").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    Dim name As Range, foundName As Range
    Dim fDate As Range, lDate As Range
    For Each name In Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A2:A" & LastRow)
        Set foundName = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:A").Find(name, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
        If Not foundName Is Nothing Then
            Set fDate = Sheets("Sheet1").Rows(1).Find(name.Offset(0, 1))
            Set lDate = Sheets("Sheet1").Rows(1).Find(name.Offset(0, 2))
            Sheets("Sheet1").Range(Cells(foundName.Row, fDate.Column), Cells(foundName.Row, lDate.Column)) = 0
        End If
    Next name
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
Change the sheet names to suit your needs.

Upvote 0
Something like this should work. it assumes your data is in 2nd sheet and summary is in sheet 1 (and date in row 1 is in chronological order).

data sheet and summary sheet both has name in column A.

Code:
Sub give_it_a_try()

Dim Start_Date As Date, End_Date As Date, Name_Row As Single
Dim rng As Range, Last_Row As Single

'assume your data list is in second sheet
With Sheets(2)
    Last_Row = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row 'assumes your names are in column A

For Each rng In .Range("A2:A" & Last_Row)
        Start_Date = rng.Offset(0, 1)
        End_Date = rng.Offset(0, 2)

With Sheets(1)
            Name_Row = .Range("A:A").Find(what:=rng, LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlWhole).Row
            .Range(.Cells(Name_Row, .Rows("1:1").Find(what:=Start_Date, LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlWhole).Column), .Cells(Name_Row, .Rows("1:1").Find(what:=End_Date, LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlWhole).Column)) = 0
        End With
    Next rng
End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
oops mumps beat me to it. i think our codes are similar except he added the screen update for you to speed up the process :)

Upvote 0
Thank you both for your help and HAPPY NEW YEAR! I'm able to get @mumps code working. The only issue I'm having is that it runs once, and unless I delete the cells that the 0's are placed in, it won't run again without an error. so if i added a name or added a diff date, it won't run it unless I delete everything and start fresh.

Upvote 0
Try this version:
Code:
Sub terrib1e()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim LastRow1 As Long
    LastRow1 = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    Dim LastRow2 As Long
    LastRow2 = Sheets("Sheet2").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    Dim lCol As Long
    lCol = Sheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Columns.Count
    Dim name As Range, foundName As Range
    Dim fDate As Range, lDate As Range
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range(Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(2, 2), Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(LastRow1, lCol)).ClearContents
    For Each name In Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A2:A" & LastRow2)
        Set foundName = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A:A").Find(name, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
        If Not foundName Is Nothing Then
            Set fDate = Sheets("Sheet1").Rows(1).Find(name.Offset(0, 1))
            Set lDate = Sheets("Sheet1").Rows(1).Find(name.Offset(0, 2))
            Sheets("Sheet1").Range(Cells(foundName.Row, fDate.Column), Cells(foundName.Row, lDate.Column)) = 0
        End If
    Next name
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
The same issue occurs. So if I run the maco, and then go change an end date on the other sheet and run the macro again it gives me the '1004' error, but if I change the date and then click into the other sheet, it runs the macro without issue. I'm not sure why, but I have to go into a different sheet each time i change the date. The error is stemming from this line :
Code:

Upvote 0
I figured it out! The range wasn't fully qualified so it would only run from any sheet when I qualified it by making the range
Code:
Sheets("Sheet1").Range(Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(foundName.Row, fDate.Column), Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(foundName.Row, lDate.Column)) = 0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back