formula works using 2 different files but not using 2 sheets in 1 file

El Shorty

Hi,

I have a problem with my excel formula. I first had 2 files and using vlookup I copied the data from one file to another based on the data in a cell. However I needed to change it so it all fitted in one file, so I needed 2 sheets. Problem is when I use the exact same formula I now get #N/A instead of the correct data.

Here are the formulas...
The original:
Code:
=IF(ROW()=1;'C:\....\[File2.xml]Campaign Advanced Find View'!$B$1;VLOOKUP($D3;'C:\...\[File2.xml]Campaign Advanced Find View'!A:B;2;FALSE))

The new one:
Code:
=IF(ROW()=1;'Campaign Advanced Find View'!B1;VLOOKUP($D2;'Campaign Advanced Find View'!A:B;2;FALSE))

If the row is 1, it works fine so the data from the first cell is entered correctly, however if it gets to the vlookup is gives #N/A...

Anybody has an idea why this is?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Hi,

I have a problem with my excel formula. I first had 2 files and using vlookup I copied the data from one file to another based on the data in a cell. However I needed to change it so it all fitted in one file, so I needed 2 sheets. Problem is when I use the exact same formula I now get #N/A instead of the correct data.

Here are the formulas...
The original:
Code:
=IF(ROW()=1;'C:\....\[File2.xml]Campaign Advanced Find View'!$B$1;VLOOKUP($D3;'C:\...\[File2.xml]Campaign Advanced Find View'!A:B;2;FALSE))

The new one:
Code:
=IF(ROW()=1;'Campaign Advanced Find View'!B1;VLOOKUP($D2;'Campaign Advanced Find View'!A:B;2;FALSE))

If the row is 1, it works fine so the data from the first cell is entered correctly, however if it gets to the vlookup is gives #N/A...

Anybody has an idea why this is?

In which cell do you enter this formula?

Upvote 0
In which cell do you enter this formula?

I use it in the first column. So I start in A1 and copy it down. I know it only works at the beginning and the end of a sheet. I use the same formula in the last column with the same result.

I have done the exact same thing for other files and there it always worked fine. But here the formula gives #N/A I just don't get it lolz..

Upvote 0
I use it in the first column. So I start in A1 and copy it down. I know it only works at the beginning and the end of a sheet. I use the same formula in the last column with the same result.

I have done the exact same thing for other files and there it always worked fine. But here the formula gives #N/A I just don't get it lolz..

The logic for testing the row number escapes me. Given that that must be equal to 1...

=IF(ROWS($A$1:A1)=1;'Campaign Advanced Find View'!B1;VLOOKUP($D2;'Campaign Advanced Find View'!A:B;2;FALSE))

Why not use A2 as the start cell:

=IF(ROWS($A$2:A2)=1;'Campaign Advanced Find View'!B1;VLOOKUP($D2;'Campaign Advanced Find View'!A:B;2;FALSE))

for better alignment?

Upvote 0
That is because I get the data from crm, if I start at row 2 it won't work. The whole column must contain the same formula and since the data is different on the first row I need to fill it in like that

Upvote 0
That is because I get the data from crm, if I start at row 2 it won't work. The whole column must contain the same formula and since the data is different on the first row I need to fill it in like that

Interesting. I suppose the one that starts in A1 does not work either. If so, you need to elaborate by posting the data you have along with the desired results.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I suppose the one that starts in A1 does not work either. If so, you need to elaborate by posting the data you have along with the desired results.

That is what is driving me crazy it works perfectly for A1 but it doesn't work for the rest of the cells... I have done the exact same thing in other excel files and they all work fine.. but this one keeps giving me this problem.

Upvote 0
I will now take the award for biggest idiot... it's because of my previous post that I thought about checking the data in the excel.. Since I get it from crm, I didn't think about the fact that the data could have changed... so it is solved now. The data had changed giving me the #N/A.. it did show me a bug in my formula's so I fixed that aswell now..

Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for the help

Upvote 0
I will now take the award for biggest idiot... it's because of my previous post that I thought about checking the data in the excel.. Since I get it from crm, I didn't think about the fact that the data could have changed... so it is solved now. The data had changed giving me the #N/A.. it did show me a bug in my formula's so I fixed that aswell now..

Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for the help

ROW()=1 is no good; better switch to ROWS($A$1:A1)=1.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back