Formulas Only Work On Small Ranges

BWMagee

Board Regular
Hi, I created a spreadsheet with a number of different formulas. To create and test the formulas, I used a small sample size of data. Now complete, they need to be used on a large range of data (will be up to 7000 rows when complete), however it seems that as I increase the data size, the formulas stop working - producing #N/A.

For example:
<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'; color: #000000}span.s1 {color: #006107}span.s2 {color: #0057d6}span.s3 {color: #ab30d6}</style>=AVERAGE(IF('2018F'!$L$8:$L$7000=PvO!$C170,IF('2018F'!$M$8:$M$7000=PvO!$D170,'2018F'!$Q$8:$Q$7000)))

If I change the '7000's in that formula to a small number, such as '30', it works, and produces a value. But as soon as I change it to '50' or more, it produces #N/A.

Any ideas what needs to be done to correct this?
Much appreciated!

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
You probably have at least one cell in the larger range that's returning an error.

Upvote 0
Did you remember to press Ctrl+Shift+Enter when editing the formula, and not just enter? Or, if you have a more recent version than 2003, you could use:

=AVERAGEIFS('2018F'!$Q$8:$Q$7000,'2018F'!$L$8:$L$7000,PvO!$C170,'2018F'!$M$8:$M$7000,PvO!$D170)

Upvote 0
Thanks both for the responses.

You probably have at least one cell in the larger range that's returning an error.

Correct, there are multiple cells in the ranges returning #N/A. They are doing this because they themselves are an index/match function, who obviously haven't found a match. I could of course go through and delete each one, or go through and get their match so they return a value - but those things are not necessary for what I'm doing. If they are the only way to make my formulas work though, then they will become necessary. Is there any other way around this - for my formulas to ignore instances of #N/A?

Did you remember to press Ctrl+Shift+Enter when editing the formula, and not just enter? Or, if you have a more recent version than 2003, you could use:

=AVERAGEIFS('2018F'!$Q$8:$Q$7000,'2018F'!$L$8:$L$7000,PvO!$C170,'2018F'!$M$8:$M$7000,PvO!$D170)

I did yes, should have put the { } around them for my thread sorry.

Upvote 0
You'll need to handle the errors in the INDEX formulas then, unless you use the AVERAGEIFS formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you need those INDEX/MATCH functions to return #N/A? If not, use IFERROR so that they return 0.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davenil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back