Formulas to find the first and last nonzero value in a range

MikeWeaver

I have a range similar to the table below, I would like to find using a formula the first and last nonzero value in the range. I would assume this should be done in two formulas, one to find the first nonzero value, and one to find the last.

<tbody>
</tbody>

In this example I would like the formulas to return 2 (position of first nonzero value) and 5 (position of last nonzero value).

Thank you for any help!

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I have a range similar to the table below, I would like to find using a formula the first and last nonzero value in the range. I would assume this should be done in two formulas, one to find the first nonzero value, and one to find the last.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

In this example I would like the formulas to return 2 (position of first nonzero value) and 5 (position of last nonzero value).

Thank you for any help!

1. Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(1/A2:G2),0)

2. Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,1/ISNUMBER(1/A2:G2))

Upvote 0
1. Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(1/A2:G2),0)

2. Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,1/ISNUMBER(1/A2:G2))

Thanks Aladin, that works perfectly. Could you provide some clarification on how those formulas are working (specifically the 1/.. parts) I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around it.

Upvote 0
Thanks Aladin, that works perfectly.

You are welcome.

Could you provide some clarification on how those formulas are working (specifically the 1/.. parts) I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around it.

Dividing 1 with a blank cell or a cell with 0 would deliver a #DIV/0!, not a number. Hence ISNUMBER ends up with FALSE, otherwise with TRUE.

1. Matching TRUE against the TRUE/FALSE evaluations yields the relative position of the first TRUE value MATCH runs up against.

2. 1/ISNUMBER(1/A2:G2) boils down to dividing 1 by TRUE and FALSE evaluations (see above). Since TRUE = 1 and FALSE = 0 in Excel, we get a bunch of 1's and #DIV/0! values. MATCH ignores errors if it can and delivers the relative position of the last 1.

Here some links on the usage of MATCH in the second formula:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/102091-9-9999999-a.html
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...tiple-matches-match-returned.html#post1523998

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
You are welcome.

Dividing 1 with a blank cell or a cell with 0 would deliver a #DIV/0!, not a number. Hence ISNUMBER ends up with FALSE, otherwise with TRUE.

1. Matching TRUE against the TRUE/FALSE evaluations yields the relative position of the first TRUE value MATCH runs up against.

2. 1/ISNUMBER(1/A2:G2) boils down to dividing 1 by TRUE and FALSE evaluations (see above). Since TRUE = 1 and FALSE = 0 in Excel, we get a bunch of 1's and #DIV/0! values. MATCH ignores errors if it can and delivers the relative position of the last 1.

Here some links on the usage of MATCH in the second formula:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/102091-9-9999999-a.html
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...tiple-matches-match-returned.html#post1523998

Hope this helps.

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, but this was really informative and helped a lot. Keep doin you Aladin.

Upvote 0
Glad to help. Thanks for the nice feedback.

I have another question if you're up for it, is there a way to do the same thing, but find the first and last value that are not within .01 (or -.01) of zero? This seems likes it would have to be a completely different formula. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I have another question if you're up for it, is there a way to do the same thing, but find the first and last value that are not within .01 (or -.01) of zero? This seems likes it would have to be a completely different formula. Thanks again!

Control+shift+enter:

=MATCH(1,IF(ISNUMBER(1/A2:G2),IF(ABS(A2:G2)>0,1)),0)

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,IF(ISNUMBER(1/A2:G2),IF(ABS(A2:G2)>0.01,A2:G2)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeanHT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back