Function for finding various values and replacing with different character based on result

geepy

I think what I'm trying to do is quite straight forward, but I just can't find the right functions or combination of functions to do - partly because some of the obvious functions don't allow wildcards.

I have a column of cells which could contain one of five letters as the first character (P, L, E, D, or A), but after the letter there are some more characters which can vary. For example:

P (2/2)
L (2/1)
A (0/2)
P (1/2)
E (2/2)
D (0/2)

I don't need the data after the first character (the letter) and want to find quick way of deleting it to just leave the first character in the cell. But because the first character could be one of five different letters, I need a function to first check which letter the first character is, and then to replace all the characters in the cell with that first letter (e.g. If it finds 'P (2/2)', replace it with just 'P'.

The following formula is not correct and is not really a formula, but hopefully it will show you what I'm trying to do: =IF("P*", replace with "P"), IF("A*", replace with "A") etc.

I want to use the wildcard because I don't care about the data after the first letter, but I want one formula which can check every cell, find out what the first letter is, and then replace all of the characters in that cell with only that first letter. I can do with fairly quickly with the Find/Replace tool in Excel, but the problem is that I have to perform the search multiple times to cover the different combinations of (2/2), (1/2), (0/2) etc., so it's not ideal.

Very grateful for any help you can give!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel
Try
=LEFT(A2,1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back