Get value of B7:b and E7:E (text value only) displayed on J7:j on ONE worksheet

William516

Ok I have the first part working with one major problem. When I run the code below it will display a text value for every page in the workbook. I only need it to display a value in "J" on the "initiating devices" page. The other pages have different column headings. Also it only will work when the macro is run manually, I would like to know if it could be run as the user enters the status of a devices, this will update values on another page in real time. Here is the code I have been using so far with limited success.
Code:
Sub PrepareJ()
    Dim lng As Long
    lng = Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
    Range("J7:J" & lng).Value = Evaluate("=B7:B" & lng & "&E7:E" & lng)

End Sub

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I don't see how your code will access any sheets other than the one on which it is run, ie If you run the macro while Sheet1 is active, then it will only put the values of B&E in J for this one sheet.

Anyway on your second question, you can put a macro in the Sheet Module that checks for any changes to a certain column or range, and then updates something.

So if you only want to update column J on Sheet "initiating devices" when a user makes a change in column A of the same sheet, then do the following:

open the macro editor (Alt-F11)
in the top left panel find the Sheet
"initiating devices" and double click it (You can also in Excel right click on the Tab of the sheet and select 'View Code')

You now have opened the Module for this sheet. This is not a general module, and you should only put code here that has to do with changes to this sheet. These macros will not be visible in the list of macros.

Paste the following code here
<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)<br>    <br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> Intersect(Target, Columns(1)) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' the user has changed something in Column A of this sheet</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> lng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>            lng = Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row<br>            Range("J7:J" & lng).Value = Evaluate("=B7:B" & lng & "&E7:E" & lng)<br>        <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Anytime you now make a change to a cell in Column A the macro will run.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rcocrane99

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back