Getting Application.ontime in a For loop to work correctly...

chazrab

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This code
Code:
Private Sub cmdFindDate_Click()
Dim i, n As Integer
Dim t
  For i = 2 To [A65536].End(xlUp).Row
    n = Day(Cells(i, 1).Value)
       If n = Day(Now()) Then
          t = Now() + TimeSerial(0, 0, 10)
          Application.OnTime t, "RunNewSetMSG"
       Else
          MsgBox "value does not match"
       End If
   Next
   Exit Sub
End Sub

The code for the macro RunNewsetMSG is
Code:
Sub RunNewSetMSG()
 DATETIME.TextBox1.Value = Sheets("DATAEND").Range.Cells(i, 4).Value
 DATETIME.Show
End Sub

When I run this I get a “Subscript out of range at this line in the RunNewMSG macro:
Code:
DATETIME.TextBox1.Value = Sheets("DATAEND").Range.Cells(1, 4).Value
What I want is to display the DATETIME userform with each UNIQUE VALUE in textbox1 read from the For i = loop every 10 seconds. What subscript is out of range ? What’s wrong with this ? Thx for any help. cr

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
You have an "i" instead of a 1 in the macro. Running a ontime code within a loop? It seems like this is not going to work the way U want ie. the loop may run hundreds/thousands of times within a milisecond and you're calling the macro hundreds/thousands of times also within a milisecond. HTH. Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply and trying to help - I made a mistake in typing the original code - it should be an "i", not the number "1". The i tis the value in col A - in this case, a valid date in the format 6/29/2019. Addressing the 2nd point you brought up, this won't be an infinite loop, as you say it iwll, will it ? This line of code would terminate the looping process at the last entry. Any blank rows below that last entry would stop the For Loop by this line
Code:
For i = 2 To [A65536].End(xlUp).Row
By all means, let me know if I'm incorrect - if you can think of a better way to schedule a userform reminder to pop up at different times on different days in the future, display a message on that day at that time, please let me know. The only way I can see to do this is by placing the entries in rows A - Date B - Time C - message to display on date A and t=Time B. This of course would be placed in the Workbook Open event. The code would have to loop say every 30 minutes(or a time I determine) to check for values to display. I don't know of any other way to develop a custom excel reminder. Please let me know if you have a better way. Thx for all your help. cr

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the macro RunNewSetMSG you haven't declared the "i" so it has no value and therefore errors. Not an infinite loop as it seems on reread that U have dates for msgs in "A" and I missed the conditional date match... U should "Exit For" after the condition is met and save some time. Trial making the "i" a Public variable in a module... which should fix your error. HTH. Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back