Getting average from information in 2 separate pivot tables question

Anonmau5

Hello Excel Community :)

I have a problem I've been working on for about 4 hours a night for this past entire week and I can't figure it out. I would greatly appreciate any help that will lead me in the right direction to getting this solved so I can go back to sleeping.

The situation:
I have two pivot tables that pull data from two sheets in the workbook.

- The first pivot table "A" shows an average of the persons closed cases per day for each person.
- The second pivot table "B" shows the amount of hours the person worked each day.

The information in sheet 2 for pivot table "A" has a list of all the cases each person closed that day and the chart is set to count the total for the day and display it.

The information for pivot table "B" has a list of all the punch "in/out" times and displays the sum of those duration.

What I am trying to do is have a pivot table or a very low maintenance chart that will take the total cases closed for the person that day and divide it by the hours they worked and show their "average" for that day. I have tried to find a way to use the data from those pivot tables and the only way I have found was to manually add each persons data off the pivot tables to the manual chart. This is not an option as there is too much to track like this manually.

I also tried creating a pivot table using the information from the two sheets that provide the data for pivot table "A" & "B" however when I do that you loose all the unique field labels at the top in the data sheets and only have about 4 options to sort and work with on the pivot table bar. If I could get all the different options on the right to come up with it pulling from one sheet when I set it up for two I could probably make it work. Then it would just be a matter of listing both totals next to each other and doing a calculated field to divide the one by the other.

Again I greatly appreciate help from anybody that can help restore my sanity! :P

- Brian

There is no easy way because, as Jerry has pointed out, you have different names for the employess in different places. With 7 employees and expect to grow to 15, that is not a lot to manage.
Here is one suggestion, put a helper column in the two data extract ranges to generate a standard name for each employee.
Your system maintenance will involve copying both those formulas down each time you want to report.
The out put is to a formula driven table. Your maintenance will be to maintain the list of standard names, insert the dates each month, and copy the formula down and across. I made 2 reciprocal output tables, delete the one you don't want.

An variation on this approach is to maintain a separate table with the names as returned with closed cases and the employee number, and use vlookup to populate employee numbers into the data range. It will be more robust than this possibility.
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
3Case Typeopen DateAccount #StatusClose DateCase OwnerStd Name
4***closed1/01/2015Bob SmithSmith, B
5***closed1/01/2015John DoeDoe, J
6***closed2/01/2015Bob SmithSmith, B
7*******
8*******
9*******
10EmployeeIDNameDateInOutTotal HoursStd Name
11doe, John J*1/01/2015**7doe, J
12doe, John J*2/01/2015**3doe, J
13Smith, Bob Walter*2/01/2015**10Smith, B
14Smith, Bob Walter*1/01/2015**5Smith, B
15*******
16Average Cases Closed per Hour******
17*1/01/20152/01/2015****
18Smith, B0.200.10****
19Doe, J0.140.00****
20*******
21Average Cases Hours per Closed Case******
22*1/01/20152/01/2015****
23Smith, B5.0010.00****
24Doe, J7.00*****
Sheet1

I know you want low maintenance, but that is impossible when your data does not match

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Thank you for your responses. I should be able to work something out from what was posted here. The reason I was looking for "low maintenance" is that I don't actually manage the employees. I'm doing most of the reporting for our department in an effort to progress a little. So everything I do is in conjunction to my normal responsibilities.

Again I appreciate the time everybody took when responding.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back