Grouping Customer names in Pivot table

ajc623

Board Regular
I am trying to look at several years of sales data by customer in order to compare year to year sales and possibly monthly or quarterly as well. I have no problem getting it into a pivot table and shown exactly like i want, but the problem is trying to consolidate various customers from the same company. For instance in my pivot table i may have

Acme Steve Jones
Acme Sara Miller
Acme Frank Martin
Acme Joe Smith

My goal would be to put all those together as Acme but when i group those together it also creates a "group" for every other item in the pivot table and makes it twice as many rows long. Since this is already 5,000 lines I trying to see how I can just group a few items and then go down my list to the next grouping and group those. Any help would be great.

Andrew

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
The easiest way I can think to approach this situation is to create a logical helper column that categorizes the data. You could do this using a Vlookup or a possibly an nested IF statement depending on how complex your data set is...

Upvote 0
When you group the names you basically get a copy of the original field with that grouping added so you can just remove the original field.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daymo66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back