Help easily attaching 100’s pictures or picture URL to spreadsheet

Noahraymond

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I would like to start off by saying I know nothing about macros. I was listening to a podcast and the person being interviewed said that he attaches 300-800 scanned images of sports cards to the name of a specific player within a minute or two using macros. Can someone explain this to me? In a typical spreadsheet there will be three columns one with the players card number, second one with their name and the third has the team they play for. So if I scan 400 cards in how do I automatically attach the players scanned card to each of the rows with their appropriate names? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Can you contact the person and see if they would be willing to provide you with their setup?

Otherwise, your process is not clearly defined and I'm not sure what the end result needs to be. Is each scanned image one unique card? Do you just want a hyperlink to a local image? Linking to local images is trivial with =HYPERLINK(), assuming you know the name of the file you want to link to. Your method might vary greatly depending on the service you use to scan the images too, but in general, if you scan them in the exact same order as they're listed in your table, then you could iterate through all scanned images and create a hyperlink, assuming the images were automatically named in a way to make that possible.

Upvote 0
I would like to start off by saying I know nothing about macros. I was listening to a podcast and the person being interviewed said that he attaches 300-800 scanned images of sports cards to the name of a specific player within a minute or two using macros. Can someone explain this to me? In a typical spreadsheet there will be three columns one with the players card number, second one with their name and the third has the team they play for. So if I scan 400 cards in how do I automatically attach the players scanned card to each of the rows with their appropriate names? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
This should be quite easy if your Excel file and pictures are properly organized. Please down load XL2BB and use it to post a few rows of your Excel file. Please also specify where the pictures are stored (the path) and name of the pictures. What I need to know is if the names in the file corresponds to the picture names on the disk. For example, in your Excel if you have playerA223 and the scanned image is also named playerA223.jpg then it'd be quite easy to write a script to add the image to the file. If there is no relationship between the names in the Excel file and the names of the scanned image on the disk, then it's very difficult to do it with a script.

Upvote 0

Noahraymond Maybe look at my post for your answer. It inserts the resized photos based on the name. I would recommend resizing the height of the row to accommodate the photo size. Might have to run the script a few times to see how big the photos are.​

I batch resized all the photos first using Irfanview, so the photos are all the same size.
You can watch the Youtube Video for the full explanation. It helped me, as I am quite a noob too.

(Pictures go in this column)Card #NameTeam
Joseph
Mary

Upvote 0

Noahraymond Maybe look at my post for your answer. It inserts the resized photos based on the name. I would recommend resizing the height of the row to accommodate the photo size. Might have to run the script a few times to see how big the photos are.​

I batch resized all the photos first using Irfanview, so the photos are all the same size.
You can watch the Youtube Video for the full explanation. It helped me, as I am quite a noob too.

(Pictures go in this column)Card #NameTeam
Joseph
Mary
Pictures can be resized using VBA to fit the cells so that the original pictures on the disk do not change. The up side of doing so is that there is no second set of pictures to maintain. The down side is if the size of the pictures are big, then, the resulting Excel file will be huge.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back