Help Me Repair a Formula

Mayanwolfe

Hi all!

I found a lovely little formula to help me search a list for a keyword or number and then return multiple matching results to populate a dropdown box. It worked brilliantly, but, unfortunately, in all my machinations I ended up breaking it. Now, I don't know what goes in the space that has been replaced by a #REF! value. Has anyone worked with this before?

The user enters a search term or number in cell I15. The search list is in Column W.

In Column S I have:

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($I$15,$W$2:$W$1050))))

and reading off that in Column T I have:

Code:
=IF(ROWS($R$15:R15)>$Q$15,"",INDEX($W$2:$W$1998, SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($I$15,$W$2:$W$1050)), MATCH(ROW($W$2:$W$1050), ROW($W$2:$W$1050))), ROW(#REF!))))

I want to figure out what should replace that #REF at the end of the second code string. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
I gave that a try, but the only entry it returns is the value from the search list that it is parallel to, which is not remotely a match.

Upvote 0
can you not get an older copy of the spreadsheet recovered by the I.T folks at your office?

Upvote 0
Never mind, I completely forgot that it was an array formula! I entered A1 into the space, hit Control+Enter, then dragged it down, and voila! All fixed. Thank you so much for your help, Mr. Poulsom!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back