Help on making macro code run faster

sohil2520

Hi everyone,

I have a fairly large excel file (~21MB) with a macro which performs about 400 goalseek runs. This macro has to run everytime a change is made in any of the 13 key input cells, and hence, should be pretty fast. The problem is that it currently takes about 8-10 minutes to run, a time which reduces by half if i copy-paste the sheet into another workbook and run the code there. It'd be great if you can help me with speeding up the excel code.

Here's the code:
Sub MoU_Growth()

Dim i As Integer
Dim j As Integer

Sheets("MoU Projections (2)").Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
For i = 3 To 20
For j = 63 To 84
If Cells(j, i).Value <> 0 Then
Range(Cells(j + 27, i), Cells(j + 27, i)).Copy
Range("H59").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False 'to copy-paste current goal seek answers for a quicker goal seek run
Range(Cells(j, i), Cells(j, i)).GoalSeek Goal:=1, ChangingCell:=Range("H59")
Range("H59").Copy
Range(Cells(j + 27, i), Cells(j + 27, i)).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
Application.StatusBar = "Working on cell " & Chr(64 + i) & j​
End If​
Next j​
Next i
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.StatusBar = "Complete"
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic​
End Sub

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hi and Welcome,

The code could be improved a little to reduce some of the copying time, but my guess is that would be a negligible difference....a fraction of a second off your 8-10 minute run.

It's more likely that you could find speed improvements in the formulas in the worksheet data. I'm a little puzzled that you are copying data into H59, but then immediately using H59 as the changing cell.

If you will post your single worksheet to a host site, or exchange emails through a Private Message, I'd be glad to look at it to see if I can help.

Upvote 0
Thanks JS411.
I copy-paste data into H59 so that the goal seek starts running from the previous goal seek solution. I did that hoping that it would reduce the number of iterations required for goal seek and hence, speed up the macro.
About sharing the spreadsheet, I will send you a private message with a version of the spreadsheet in about an hour from now

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faraz5023

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back