Help with a formula please!!!

INEEDEXCELHELP

:) Okay here goes!! I am new to this so if its an easy question I am really sorry!! :(

I have to get this done for my boss as soon as possible!!

Basically this is what I need as a formula. Plus it's over two sheets.

If B1 (sheet 1) = "TEXT1" ,FIND the content I1 (sheet 1) within a1:a3000 (sheet 2). If I1 is found in that range i need to know the text in the cell next to the found text.

eg: the text of I1 (sheet 1) was found in cell a234 (sheet 2) so it gives me the text in b234.

I hope this make sense??

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I had to get this back to my boss yesterday!! :(

ARGH I JUST CAN'T WORK THIS ONE OUT!!!

Thanks again!!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hi,

Without knowing how new you are to excel I will try and see if I understand you correctly and offer up one way you could do this in formula...

The first thing I would do is create a named range for your data on sheet2, let's call it MyRange. If you are unfamiliar with how to do this there is a short tutorial at this link:

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#NameBox

but basically all you need to do is select the range from A1:B3000 and whilst it is selected you can type the name in the Name Box just above column A.

Once you have done that, go back to sheet1 and type an IF statement with a VLOOKUP in the cell J1.

=IF(B1="TEXT1",VLOOKUP(I1,myRange,2,0),"")

This formula is saying that if TEXT1 is in cell B1 then lookup the contents of cell I1 in myRange and return the result in from column 2 (in this case Sheet2, column B). If it doesn't = TEXT1 in cell B1 on sheet1 then return a blank.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but I hope it will at least give you an idea.

NAMED RANGE on sheet2

Excel Workbook
AB
8Some textDOG
20Some more textCAT
Sheet2

FORMULA ON SHEET1

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJ
1TEXT1Some textDOG
2Some more text 
Sheet1

AP

Upvote 0
...one other thing to remember, I realise you are pressed for time with your request, but you will need to take time out to read the rules on posting otherwise one of the moderators will pull you up for it. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back