Help with a logical formula

MillieG

Hello All,

I'm not very good with Excel at all and I need help in creating a logical formula with more than one value. I appreciate any help :) Thank you !

It goes like this:

If anything in E2 through E101 is "1", and anything in F2 through F102 is 'JR", and anything in G2 through G102 is "Bricklayer" then I want the amount of $60.18 to appear in columns C2 through C101 as it applies.

Columns C2-C101 = Base Rate
Columns E2-E102 = Union Local
Columns F2-F102 = JR
Columns G2-G101 = Bricklayer

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
=IF(AND(E2=1,F2="JR",G2="Bricklayer"),60.18,"")

Copy down.

Upvote 0
I suppose instead of and you could just concatenate and test against a single string...

=IF(E2&F2&G2="1JRBricklayer",60.18,"")

Upvote 0
I suppose you could, but you'd want to be careful with that because it doesn't indicate which cells each piece of data comes from. I would just use AND but to do it your way I would delimit it.

For example if E2 was 1J, F2 was R, and G2 was Bricklayer, your formula would return 60.18 even though it doesn't match the requirements. Not saying that the op has this necessarily but it is something to consider.
=IF(E2&","&F2&","&G2="1,JR,Bricklayer",60.18,"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see the thing with delimiting...another option as there is a numeric value being return is some boolean logic...

=(E2=1)*(F2="JR")*(G2="Bricklayer")*60.18

It would return 0 if the conditions aren't met, this could be formatted to leave a blank if desired.

Upvote 0
Yes, this formula, =(E2=1)*(F2="JR")*(G2="Bricklayer")*60.18 has returned 0. I'm not getting the desired outcome with anything I try.

Will numbers stored as text interfere with the formula ?

Upvote 0
It could very well do, if you have numbers stored as text then apply some coercion to the equation.

=(E2+0=1)*(F2="JR")*(G2="Bricklayer")*60.18

In the above if E2 has 1 as text then it'll coerce it to a numeric value to test.

Upvote 0
Maybe some trailing spaces/characters in the cells. Couple of things to try.

1. Split the logical tests into individual columns, then you can look to see (for example) if the cell contains 'Bricklayer' but =G2="Bricklayer" returns FALSE.
2. Hit the logical tests with some trimming and cleaning...

=(TRIM(CLEAN(E2))+0=1)*(TRIM(CLEAN(F2))="JR")*(TRIM(CLEAN(G2))="Bricklayer")*60.18

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wayneho98

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back