Help with altering a "copy/paste row" macro to include an "OTHER" category

kterps

Hello All!

I am working on an excel file for work, one that tracks the performance of the company and individual employees on specific jobs. The file has a master sheet, 1 sheets per employee of interest, and other sheets with relative unimportant functions in this context. Individual jobs are entered in the master sheet, and each entry has 3 general parts: (1) job details, not of concern in this context, (2) Scores on the job, and (3) employees that completed the job, 1 name per column, 10 columns possible.

From here, a macro checks part (3), and copy/pastes that entire row in the sheets of employees that worked that job. This depends on having 1 sheet per employee and their name entry = their sheet name. Then each sheet shows some cute stats.

What I would like is a way to catch employees not of interest (ENIs), just in case we'd need to reference it with ease. The first solution I had in mind was to create a button you press before activating the other macro that changes ENIs to read "OTHER". This is counterintuitive, however, as I wouldn't be able to see exactly who was on the job afterward!

Now I am wondering if it would be possible to change this macro to also copy/paste in a sheet named "OTHER" if someone without their own sheet worked that job? I am more than happy to answer questions and clarify! I thank you all in advance!

The current macro:

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then
Cancel = True
On Error GoTo M
Dim Lastrow As Long
For Each c In Range(Cells(Target.Row, 10), Cells(Target.Row, 19))
If c.Value <> "" Then
Lastrow = Sheets(c.Value).Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
Rows(Target.Row).Copy Destination:=Sheets(c.Value).Rows(Lastrow)

End If
Next
Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 4
Exit Sub
End If
M:
MsgBox "No such sheet exist"
End Sub

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Try putting the following instead of the message box:
Lastrow = Sheets("Other").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
Rows(Target.Row).Copy Destination:=Sheets(" Other").Rows(Lastrow)

Upvote 0
Thank you for replying! Sorry the weekend prevented me from getting to this email, out representing the ole Alma Mater!

I guess I forgot to mention I'm an excel dunce when it comes to VBA and macros. I figured you were referring to this bit:

M:MsgBox "No such sheet exist"

When this was replaced with what you provided, I received the following:

"Complie Error
Label not defined."

The thing is, I could have very well replace the wrong part or failed to remove all that is necessary. This was what I tried:

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then
Cancel = True
On Error GoTo M
Dim Lastrow As Long
For Each c In Range(Cells(Target.Row, 10), Cells(Target.Row, 19))
If c.Value <> "" Then
Lastrow = Sheets(c.Value).Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
Rows(Target.Row).Copy Destination:=Sheets(c.Value).Rows(Lastrow)

End If
Next
Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 4
Exit Sub
End If
Lastrow = Sheets("Other").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
Rows(Target.Row).Copy Destination:=Sheets(" Other").Rows(Lastrow)
End Sub

Thanks again for the help!!

Upvote 0
You still need the M: because it is the label. You don't need the MsgBox "No such sheet exist", because it is replaced by my code.

The M: goes on a line on its own between the End If and Lastrow = ...

Earlier in the macro, you have a line that says On Error Goto M. So you need a marker (label) called M so it knows where to jump to.

Hope that works!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Trevor, thanks for all your help!

With your edit, the macro does exactly as I would like it to do!! Although it originally disabled the "fill cell" function (for whatever reason), I did enough VBA research online to begin interpreting what the code was doing and how different parts were interacting with each other and I gave the function back to the macro! :D (its the little victories that count, right?)

Thank you again for all your help Trevor!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobsscoots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back