Help with the General Interface... an Add In is opening on my screen now: FUNCRES.xlam

awoohaw

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
After a computer restart (as far as I know, no updates to Office/Microsoft 365) when I start Excel a workbook opens without any sheets (but it has my default style theme). When I close it it closes one of my other opened excel files (a macro template in my start folder which I have had for about a month now).

I think the file is FUNCRES.xlam, but I am not 100% sure. There are 4 other .xlam folders in the file location:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\Library\Analysis
(this is not my start up file location).

Here is a screen shot.. there is no file name at the top, just the word "Excel"

The only thing that I did remotely "new" in excel recently was to create the default personal macros file (.xlsb).

Any insight would be helpful. I use Microsoft/Office 365 on Windows 11 Home.

1676571688651.png

1676571387196.png

In that case I have no idea what has happened.
In the VBA project select ThisWorkbook for FUNCRES & check that the IsAddin property is set to true.

It is True

1676577888200.png

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Even when I deactivate the tool pack and restart excel the phantom workbook opens.

See if this works. Deactivate the tool pack and restart Excel again. This time, though, if that workbook still opens, try the following...
  1. Open the Visual Basic Editor.
  2. Select VBAProject (FUNCRES.XLAM) under the Project Explorer window.
  3. In the Immediate Window, type thisworkbook.Close false, and press ENTER.
  4. Quit Excel.
Now when you Open Excel that workbook shouldn't open. Then, if all is well, you can try activating the tool pack again.

Does this help?

Upvote 0
Dominec, Thanks.
This helped a little bit. I did as you suggested. And the phantom file changed to SOLVER.xlam. I closed that workbook via the immediate window command. When I open a file from browsing folders I do not get the phantom file. But, when I open excel from start menu I do, plus my start folder files do not open.

Very confusing. I'll just leave the Analysis tool pack add ins out for the time being.

Upvote 0
@Domenic , I had some non excel (I'm am 99% sure of that) related issues with my system so I did a complete reinstall. After I reinstalled office 365 I went to customize my options in Excel. After adding MyFunctions, xl2bb addins I created my PERSONAL macro xlsb file. and sometime after that (not sure of exact order) the phantom appeared again. It is my PERSONAL macro file that is causing this problem. Excel automatically saves this in the EXCEL Startup folder. So, i'm not sure how to work around this. I have build 2301 of excel 365 now.

Another issue I've noticed is that the other files I put in the start up folder don't open! So, it is strange, the PERSONAL.xlsb file opens in phantom mode which it should not; yet the other files don't open at all.

I'm going to deep dive into your earlier suggestions.

Upvote 0
When you create a PERSONAL.XLSB workbook, it's automatically stored in the startup folder. And when you open Excel, a new workbook is created, and PERSONAL.XLSB is opened in the background.

personal_macro_workbook.png

This is normal behaviour. So when you talk about a phantom workbook, I'm not sure if this is what you mean is happening.

Upvote 0
@Domenic , I have never ever seen a blank frame with personal macro workbook before. I guess I could be clueless.
but this is what my screen looks like with PERSONAL.xlsb in my start up window. If that is normal then I find it very goofy. I would think the workbook should have some kind of visible=false attribute or property that hides it.
1676919881835.png

Upvote 0
When you create a PERSONAL.XLSB workbook, it's automatically stored in the startup folder. And when you open Excel, a new workbook is created, and PERSONAL.XLSB is opened in the background.

View attachment 85811

This is normal behaviour. So when you talk about a phantom workbook, I'm not sure if this is what you mean is happening.
your image on the left appears to be a regular working workbook not the PERSONAL.xlsb workbook. Do you have a second excel frame open as well? I understand the VBA window showing PERSONAL.xlsb (that isn't the issue). See my image above..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back