Help with the General Interface... an Add In is opening on my screen now: FUNCRES.xlam

awoohaw

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
After a computer restart (as far as I know, no updates to Office/Microsoft 365) when I start Excel a workbook opens without any sheets (but it has my default style theme). When I close it it closes one of my other opened excel files (a macro template in my start folder which I have had for about a month now).

I think the file is FUNCRES.xlam, but I am not 100% sure. There are 4 other .xlam folders in the file location:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\Library\Analysis
(this is not my start up file location).

Here is a screen shot.. there is no file name at the top, just the word "Excel"

The only thing that I did remotely "new" in excel recently was to create the default personal macros file (.xlsb).

Any insight would be helpful. I use Microsoft/Office 365 on Windows 11 Home.

1676571688651.png

1676571387196.png

Yeah, with my image, there's only a blank workbook. Whereas with your image, I see that there's a blank workbook and a second frame or new instance of Excel.

In that case, I would first disable all add-ins and remove your personal macro workbook for the startup folder. Then I would add them back one at a time, and see which one is the culprit. If it's your personal macro workbook, check the code it contains for any clues. If you don't see anything there that could be causing the issue, remove it, and then create a new personal macro workbook with only a single simple macro to see whether you still get the same problem.

Or did you already cover this?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
your image on the left appears to be a regular working workbook not the PERSONAL.xlsb workbook. Do you have a second excel frame open as well? I understand the VBA window showing PERSONAL.xlsb (that isn't the issue). See my image above..
The excel frame on left is the default workbook when excel starts.
the excel frame on the right is PERSONAL.xlsb. can't you see there is no worksheet?

Upvote 0
Yeah, with my image, there's only a blank workbook. Whereas with your image, I see that there's a blank workbook and a second frame or new instance of Excel.

In that case, I would first disable all add-ins and remove your personal macro workbook for the startup folder. Then I would add them back one at a time, and see which one is the culprit. If it's your personal macro workbook, check the code it contains for any clues. If you don't see anything there that could be causing the issue, remove it, and then create a new personal macro workbook with only a single simple macro to see whether you still get the same problem.

Or did you already cover this?
already covered. described in my first post of today. your "blank" workbook book is your default start up template, right? I get that plus the a zero worksheet excel frame.

Upvote 0
the excel frame on the right is PERSONAL.xlsb. can't you see there is no worksheet?
I can see that there's no worksheet, but I can't see that it is a result of your personal macro workbook. So, if that's the case, just to be sure, did you try removing it, and then creating a new one?

Yes.

Upvote 0
I can see that there's no worksheet, but I can't see that it is a result of your personal macro workbook. So, if that's the case, just to be sure, did you try removing it, and then creating a new one?

Yes.
yes, turned off all add ins.
then deleted personal.xlsb from the folder

opened fine without phantom.

restored personal.xlsb
opened excel
got the phantom.

Upvote 0
When you say restored, do you mean that you placed the same personal.xlsb back into the startup folder? Or did you create a brand new one? And, if the latter, did you only add a single, simple macro for testing purposes, making sure that none of the old macros were added to it?

Upvote 0
Okay, but just to do the drll again and be double sure of what I have done. I went back. Removed PERSONAL.xlsb from XLStartup, and deactivated all addins.
the phantom did not open.

When i moved the PERSONAL.xlsb back in, now instead of a phantom i got a book1.xlsx and a book2.xlsx instead of one.
There are no other files in the XLStartup folder. The MicrosoftTemplates folder does not have any either.

THe macro folder has two macros.
one for summing negative numbers in a range, another for summing positive numbers in a range. I was getting the phantom before I had created those two however.
I'll delete them and just do a hello world in a cell.

I iwll also tell excel not open all file in teh xlstart up folder. Its skipping it now, it seems from other experiences (mentioned way earlier in the thread) anyway.
Stay tuned.

Upvote 0
Okay, so, I'm a goob or something. but I never got a prompt to hide or unhide anything. Nor do I recall ever going to the HIDE button.
But, apparently the somehow the PERSONAL.xlsb workbook was "unhidden" and never re-hidden.

It doesn't explain why i'm now getting a book2 opening but at least that is a real workbook and not a a sheetless frame.

I'm going to call this thread answered with this newfound information.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back