Hiding formula without protecting sheet

Hobie626

Is there a way to hide formulas other than format cell/hide then protecting sheet? I see several threads on the subject but it seems that is the only solution people recommend. That solution does not fit my needs. Can anyone help with an alternative? Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Is there a way to hide formulas other than format cell/hide then protecting sheet? I see several threads on the subject but it seems that is the only solution people recommend. That solution does not fit my needs. Can anyone help with an alternative? Thanks in advance.
That's the only way I know. Can you explain how it doesn't fit your needs?

Upvote 0
Here's why I say that protecting the sheet/cells will not work for me... The spreadsheet that I have designed includes a list box. When the user selects from the list it changes the cell formulas. When the cells are protected, the user is then not able to change the selection in the list box. Hope I'm explaining it clearly.

Upvote 0
Here's why I say that protecting the sheet/cells will not work for me... The spreadsheet that I have designed includes a list box. When the user selects from the list it changes the cell formulas. When the cells are protected, the user is then not able to change the selection in the list box. Hope I'm explaining it clearly.
Can you tell us a bit more about the list box? What is in it? How does it interact with the worksheet? That is, how does it change the formulas when the user selects something from the list? Just trying to get a better understanding of what you have and what you are trying to achieve to see if I can suggest something useful.

Edit: Also, the formula cell location might be useful.

Upvote 0
The list box controls an 'If' statement. There is also an 'Index' command in the same formula. For example, 'If cell K1="1" Index this otherwise Index that. Cell K1 is driven by the list box. It's a pretty complicated sheet but that's the general issue.

Upvote 0
So it seems to me that the ListBox just feeds number into cell K1. A formula in another cell refers to K1 to do its calculation. If that is the case, with the sheet unprotected, can you do this?

1. Select cell K1

2. Format|Cells...|Protection tab|removed tick from 'Locked'|OK

3. Protect the sheet.

Now the formula cells will be protected/hidden but the ListBox should still be able to feed its value into K1, which doesn't need protection because it dosn't conatain a formula.

Upvote 0
Yes that worked. I thought locking the formula cells were causing the problem. Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back