How do I calculate a combined median of two groups

ablackburn

I have two groups of data that I want to calculate the combined median for.One group has 4,094 sales with a median of $573,139 and the 2nd group is 1,259 sales with a median of $2,023,814.How do I calculate the median of the combined groups?Thanks

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
You need to calculate the median from the combined group, you can't do it from the medians and sizes of the groups.

ABC

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet2

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
A9=MEDIAN(A1:A7)
C9=MEDIAN(C1:C7)
B10=MEDIAN(A1:A7,C1:C7)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I have two groups of data that I want to calculate the combined median for.One group has 4,094 sales with a median of $573,139 and the 2nd group is 1,259 sales with a median of $2,023,814.How do I calculate the median of the combined groups?Thanks
Eric has told you how to do what you asked for; but, if the values you posted are representative in any way, I have to wonder of what use such a number would be. The median is the value in the middle of the set. Given the large difference in sales between the two groups, the median of the combined groups will always come from the group with the larger number of sales... the only thing the smaller sales group will do is pull the median from a different location within that larger sales group. Since the medians between the two groups is so widely different, I cannot see what value there would be in obtaining the median for the combined groups. Are you sure you mean the median and not the mean (average)?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the groups are summed, so I don't have the sale prices of the individual sales. I just have the numbers above, so I don't think the formula from Eric will work.

Upvote 0
If the numbers you gave are the means (NOT medians) of the groups, you can calculate the mean of both combined groups like this:

=(573139*4094+2023814*1259)/(4094+1259)

However, if those are medians, then this will generate some meaningless number you should not use for anything. Depending on what you're trying to achieve, you may not have enough information to make a good decision. The answer would be to get more information, not try to torture the information you have into giving you something that doesn't work.

What are you trying to achieve?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pertotal

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back