How to add ISERROR to IF statement:

nbk95jg

Hey everyone,

I have a formula running (in column AN) to calculate how long it took do something (in days)
=IF(AL2="Outstanding",DATEDIF(H2,TODAY(),"d"),IF(AL2="Final",DATEDIF(H2,T2,"d"),""))

Column AL2 = Status if the question is answered (final) or still needs to be answered (outstanding)

Column H2 = Date a question was created

Column T2 = Date the question was answered (therefore in a final status)

Sometimes due to system issues out of my control, column H will have a date after the date in column T2, therefore the formula returns #NUM!

In other words:

working scenario:
H: 10/4/12
T: 10/7/12
AL: Final
AN: 3

#NUM! scenario:
H: 10/4/12
T: 10/3/12
AL: Final
AN: #NUM!

How can I add ISERROR to ignore the #NUM! responses?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi nbk95jg,
Try

Code:
=IF(ISERROR(IF(AL2="Outstanding",DATEDIF(H2,TODAY(),"d"),IF(AL2="Final",DATEDIF(H2,T2,"d"),""))),"",IF(AL2="Outstanding",DATEDIF(H2,TODAY(),"d"),IF(AL2="Final",DATEDIF(H2,T2,"d"),"")))

A

Upvote 0
You don't have to test the whole formula for error if you already know what causes the error (H > T)
In this case, you only have to test for that condition.

Try
=IF(H2>T2,"",IF(AL2="Outstanding",DATEDIF(H2,TODAY(),"d"),IF(AL2="Final",DATEDIF(H2,T2,"d"),"")))

Upvote 0
</SPAN>@blossomthe2nd: Thanks for the response, your formula works wonderfully :)

@jonmo1: Although your formula works too, it drops one feature of the formula, T will be blank/missing a date if the question is still outstanding, the IF(H2>T2,"", part makes AN return blank, instead of calculating the amount of time the question has been outstanding. The formula needs to calculate the amount of days the question is either outstanding (counting daily, until it's in a final status), or it counts the amount of days it took to get in a final status.

Thanks to both though, super fast reponses..
</SPAN>
</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL span=7></COLGROUP>

Upvote 0
You still don't need ISERROR. You also don't need DATEDIF for day calculations, you can just subtract them.
Always better to check for a known condition than to throw an ISERROR around it.

Wouldn't this do what you want?
=ABS(H2-IF(AL2="outstanding",TODAY(),T2))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@HOTPEPPER: Your formula does return a value, but it puts a negative in the days where H>T, I need that to remain blank.

Upvote 0
So does blossom's formula, I matched the output exactly. It also can't return a negative value. Absolute Value never returns a negative number.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about:

=IF(H2>T2,"",IF(AL2="outstanding",TODAY(),T2)-H2)

Upvote 0
For my formula in Post #3, we just need to re-arrange where the H>T test is..

Try
=IF(AL2="Outstanding",DATEDIF(H2,TODAY(),"d"),IF(AL2="Final",IF(H2>T2,"",DATEDIF(H2,T2,"d")),""))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rache47

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back