How to convert each rows in a spreadsheet into a unique .txt file

villadso

Hi everyone, I'm very much a newbie here.

I have a spreadsheet that contains about 600 rows; in each row contains a great deal of text (several thousand words). I am trying to convert/transfer each rows into a separate text (.txt) file. By way of background, each of these rows contains a presidential speech going back to President Washington. I downloaded each of these speeches into a spreadsheet, and now I need to get the speeches into their own .txt document. My goal is to do some text analysis on the speeches once I have this completed (part of a school assignment). I would be most grateful for any help to make this happen.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Welcome to the Board!

What do you want to use as a naming convention? Is there a certain column that contains text that could be used?

Upvote 0
Thanks! Good question, thanks Smitty. I do not have a separate column to name each file. I would prefer to use the number of each row in the name for each file e.g. Row 1, Row 2, etc. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hmmm, that could be problematic in that you'll never know which speech relates to which file.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks - I should have mentioned, I plan to organize the rows (i.e. each speech) in time order (e.g. so Row 1 is from Washington and Row 625 is from Obama). When I run do the text analysis (topic modeling), that will help me to visualize the results in time order. That said, I also had been thinking of creating a separate column with the speech date and using that as the name of the .txt file, which should get allow me to do the same analysis. So, I guess I can go either way - using a separate column e.g. column B, or using the row number. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biglake87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back