How to count unique strings seperated by comma or semicolon in a cell

fitzrandolph

Greetings.

I have some dirty data that I need to count. I have a cell that has the following data and I need to count the unique strings in it. The values will be separated by a comma, semicolon or both. I cannot break these values out into multiple columns. The amount of values in the cell will vary as will the positioning of any comma or semicolon.

Example:
CELL A1|
PRD-ID-APPLE, PRD-ID-PEAR;PRD-ID-ORANGE;PRD-ID-ORANGE,PRD-ID-PEAR, PRD-ID-PINEAPPLE; PRD-ID-BANANA

In a perfect world, the formula will tell me 5 since there are 5 unique values even though there are 7 strings listed in the single cell.

My apologies if this has been answered before, I can not locate a similar question.

Many thanks.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
The values will be separated by a comma, semicolon or both.

Hi.

Just to clarify then: the four possible delimiters are:

1) ","
2) ";"
3) ",;"
4) ";,"

with or without additional spacing at either end. Correct?

Regards

Upvote 0
Hello
this is my answer!

Book1
A
1PRD-ID-APPLE,PRD-ID-PEAR;PRD-ID-ORANGE;PRD-ID-ORANGE,PRD-ID-PEAR, PRD-ID-PINEAPPLE; PRD-ID-BANANA
3PRD-ID-APPLE
4PRD-ID-PEAR
5PRD-ID-ORANGE
6PRD-ID-ORANGE
7PRD-ID-PEAR
9PRD-ID-PINEAPPLE
11PRD-ID-BANANA
Foglio1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(","&$A$1,","," "),";"," ")," ",REPT(" ",300)),300*ROWS($A$3:A3),300))

Upvote 0
I don't believe there would ever be a situation where there would be a case for 3 or 4.

The cell will have the values separated by a "," and or a ";" as seen in the original example.

Thanks for your brain power!

Hi.

Just to clarify then: the four possible delimiters are:

1) ","
2) ";"
3) ",;"
4) ";,"

with or without additional spacing at either end. Correct?

Regards

Upvote 0
While I appreciate your suggested solution, it will not work in my case. If my original example is in Cell A1, then I need the formula / calculation in cell A2 to read "5".

Upvote 0
You could do it this way:

Assuming that the first string on which you wish to apply this set-up is in A1 then, firstly, with the active cell in the worksheet somewhere in row 1, go to Name Manager (Formulas tab) and define:

Name: Arry1
Refers to: =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,";"," "),","," "))

Name: Arry2
Refers to: =ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,1+LEN(Arry1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(Arry1," ",""))))

The required array formula** (in e.g. B1) is then:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(MATCH(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(Arry1," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A1))),1+LEN(A1)*(Arry2-1),LEN(A1))),TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(Arry1," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A1))),1+LEN(A1)*(Arry2-1),LEN(A1))),0),Arry2),1))

Copy down to give similar results for strings in A2, A3, etc.

Regards

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).

Upvote 0
Interesting...

I will take a look at your solution in Excel. One of the additional challenges to this problem is that I will not be allowed to use array. I can create another cell (Your idea of making the "," and ";" a single standard is a good one) but ultimately I will need the formula / calculation to look at one single cell, count all of the unique values and spit out a number.
A single cell will have this data:
Apple, Orange, Banana, Apple, Pineapple, Plum, Orange, Apple =
The calculation result will be 5
I can not break these out into multiple cells but I can run them through a first calculation and then put them together in a new cell. The cell's values must travel together.
I really appreciate your time and consideration!

Upvote 0
One of the additional challenges to this problem is that I will not be allowed to use array.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? By "array" do you mean CSE? Can I ask why, if that's the case?

Not sure I understand your other points. That formula does not require the cell's contents to be first split in any way.

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back