How to count unique strings seperated by comma or semicolon in a cell

fitzrandolph

Greetings.

I have some dirty data that I need to count. I have a cell that has the following data and I need to count the unique strings in it. The values will be separated by a comma, semicolon or both. I cannot break these values out into multiple columns. The amount of values in the cell will vary as will the positioning of any comma or semicolon.

Example:
CELL A1|
PRD-ID-APPLE, PRD-ID-PEAR;PRD-ID-ORANGE;PRD-ID-ORANGE,PRD-ID-PEAR, PRD-ID-PINEAPPLE; PRD-ID-BANANA

In a perfect world, the formula will tell me 5 since there are 5 unique values even though there are 7 strings listed in the single cell.

My apologies if this has been answered before, I can not locate a similar question.

Many thanks.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Turns out MID is allowed. I just tested and it works just fine.
However, SUBSTITUTE and COUNTIF do not seem to work. I am having success with FIND and REPLACE in regards to cleaning up the string.
Thinking a calculation that has SUM, FIND, REPLACE will get me where I need to go, but it is a long road.

Upvote 0
Turns out MID is allowed.

Forgive me but I think I'm going to have to drop out of this one now. I've just spent the past hour attempting extremely complex and non-standard solutions to your problem based on the premise that this function was not permissible. What with this plus your earlier inadmission I'm sure you'll understand why I'm calling it a day here.

In future, I think it may be best if you first spend some time making sure that the information you provide in support of your post is as comprehensive and accurate as possible.

That said, I understand that this isn't always possible, and we all discover things along the way - new conditions, unforeseen changes, etc. - and it's better late than never, so I nevertheless appreciate the fact that you've kept me up-to-date with the latest developments in what can and cannot be used.

Having said that, I regret to say that I feel that I've now invested too much of my personal time on this. What's more, I cannot be certain, were I to begin a fresh investigation based on the new information you've just provided, that there wouldn't be some further changes to that information at some point in the future.

Best of luck with the project.

Regards

Upvote 0
Thank you XOR LX for your time and effort. I understand that this was tricky and I apologize I did not have all the information I needed to ask. You have helped me though, and for that I am grateful.

Upvote 0
You're welcome. And I trust someone else will pick up on this thread shortly who can help you.

Regards

Upvote 0
Greetings.

I have some dirty data that I need to count. I have a cell that has the following data and I need to count the unique strings in it. The values will be separated by a comma, semicolon or both. I cannot break these values out into multiple columns. The amount of values in the cell will vary as will the positioning of any comma or semicolon.

Example:
CELL A1|
PRD-ID-APPLE, PRD-ID-PEAR;PRD-ID-ORANGE;PRD-ID-ORANGE,PRD-ID-PEAR, PRD-ID-PINEAPPLE; PRD-ID-BANANA

In a perfect world, the formula will tell me 5 since there are 5 unique values even though there are 7 strings listed in the single cell.

My apologies if this has been answered before, I can not locate a similar question.

Many thanks.

Install the following UDFs in your workbook in a module:

Function ArrayUnion(ParamArray Arg() As Variant) As Variant
' Code: Juan Pablo González
' Spec: Aladin Akyurek
' May 4, 2003
' Ref: TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
Dim TempUnion() As Variant
Dim i As Long, Itm As Variant, Ctr As Long
For i = LBound(Arg) To UBound(Arg)
Arg(i) = Arg(i)
If IsArray(Arg(i)) Then
For Each Itm In Arg(i)
Ctr = Ctr + 1
ReDim Preserve TempUnion(1 To Ctr) As Variant
TempUnion(Ctr) = Itm
Next Itm
Else
Ctr = Ctr + 1
ReDim Preserve TempUnion(1 To Ctr) As Variant
TempUnion(Ctr) = Arg(i)
End If
Next i
ArrayUnion = TempUnion
End Function

Public Function V(Optional vrnt As Variant) As Variant
'
' Stephen Dunn
' 2002-09-12
'
Static vrntV As Variant
If Not IsMissing(vrnt) Then vrntV = vrnt
V = vrntV
End Function

Now invoke...

B1, control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(V(EVAL("{"&CHAR(34)&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",";")," ",""),";",CHAR(34)&";"&CHAR(34))&CHAR(34)&"}"))<>"",MATCH(V(),V(),0)),MATCH(V(),V(),0)),1))

Upvote 0
@Aladin Akyurek

solution it cannot use an Array formula

Turns out MID is allowed. I just tested and it works just fine.
However, SUBSTITUTE and COUNTIF do not seem to work

B1, control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(V(EVAL("{"&CHAR(34)&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",";")," ",""),";",CHAR(34)&";"&CHAR(34))&CHAR(34)&"}"))<>"",MATCH(V(),V(),0)),MATCH(V(),V(),0)),1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattstan2012

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back