How to filter a list based on multiple criteria?

Dalton325

Hello. I work at metal fabrication shop. To manage the raw inventory, we created an excel spreadsheet. It lets us receive in material, reserve it for jobs, etc... There is a master list that contains all the current sheets of raw material.

Most of the material types are called out in a manner similar to the following: AL-5052-.125(48x96) or CR-A366-16ga(60x120). Occasionally, we'll get something weird, like 0.020" x 24" x 48" Alum or 9748K45 if we order from McMaster-Carr.

Our GM has recently asked me to be able to come up with the weight of all the full sheets of material on the floor at the end of the month. Finding the weight isn't a problem. That's just (length x width x height x density). I really only need to use the density for aluminum and steel, since galvaneal/galvanized, stainless, and alumizied are close enough to steel density not to matter.

I need to be able to take the master list or material in inventory, break it down into aluminum and everything else, then parse out the thickness and height/width of the part. The issue is that it's difficult, because they're written differently. A lot of the time, the size will be in parenthesis, sometimes it won't. Then I have the AL from aluminum being the first two of ALMZ of aluminized.

Can anyone help me with the code to do this? Preferably, once I run the program, it will bring up a list or listbox of materials that it didn't know how to place correctly and I can manually choose steel or aluminum for them.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Hi Dalton,
To create some thing, whether it is a formula or a custom function to extract dimension,material and if it is metric or archaic English measurement system from the name or "material type" one would need lots of samples to test against, otherwise the work would be endless, and very unfruitful.
Cheers
Sergio

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebc9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back