how to go about making this formula?

bigdan

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet which I need to modify a bit with a much more complicated formula. Hoping someone can advise.

Here's the existing formula in C2.

ClassificationRevenueJanFebMarAprConv Date
New Business$500Kif(ConvDate>C1,0,B2/12)Jan 15
Upsells$1MFeb 2

<tbody>
</tbody>

Essentially this takes the annual revenue, divides by 12 to get the monthly figures, then starts applying those monthly figures after the conversion date. So far simple enough.

There's a new complication now. If the Classification in col A is "Transaction" we have to recognize the entire revenue in col B in a single month, whatever that date is in the Conv date. So that means in a row which has a Transaction classification, rather than seeing multiple equal revenue figures we'll instead see 11 months with nothing and 1 month with the entire annual revenue.

Can someone advise how I'd write the formula, that would still treat all the other Classifications the same (ie dividing by 12 and distributing after the Conv Date) and would just treat the Transaction class differently?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hey Dan, i would just use a qualifying "IF" statement to recognize if the Classification is "Transaction" then do X, else, do Y.

it would be something like: =IF($A3="Transaction",IF(MONTH($H3)=MONTH(C$1),$B3,0),IF($H3>C$1,0,$B3/12))

Hope that helps.
LouisT

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back