How to interact with values in a second column based on the categories of a first column?

RoSothian

I have two columns, Category of Equipment and Labor Hours. Each individual cell of the CoE column is one of a few different categories. Door, Rack, Kit, Base, Shelf, Accessory, etc. The Labor Hours shows the time taken to install specific products, based mostly on category. What I'm trying to do is take each category (multiple CoE column duplicates), get the Labor Hours values for all of the respective cells, then get the mean, median, mode, range, etc. per the total of each category.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
One simple way would be Sort the data by Category of the equipment... and then create the formulas using references. and drag sidewords(not downwords)

Upvote 0
One simple way would be Sort the data by Category of the equipment... and then create the formulas using references. and drag sidewords(not downwords)

Something I just noticed is that there is actually a category and a subcategory. So I have to sort by two columns somehow. If I have one going along the top row and another going along the leftmost column, then it would work with Labor Hours going diagonally from the top-right to the bottom-left, but I don't know how to do that or if it's right.

Upvote 0
simply sort by Equipment.. then use the normal formula for each category separately.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelfromGermany

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back