how to maintain formatting (such as highlighting) when importing in ms query

auslegung

I have a master log that I import using Microsoft Query to 4 other spreadsheets (called Regional Logs), depending on the contents of the column "Region." I have all this figured out, but I can't figure out how to have the highlighting persist through the export and refresh. I edit the Master Log throughout the week and highlight changes as I go. Coworkers use the 4 Regional Logs throughout the week to monitor different cases, particularly the new ones, so they need to see all changes for the week highlighted in yellow, which means the Regional Logs need to be linked to the Master Log and the highlighting must be visible any time a coworker opens the Regional Log. In addition, they are emailed across the state to county directors and they need to see the yellow-highlighted data, as well.

Currently, when exporting data using MS Query, no formatting persists. How can I ensure the highlighting persists? Or, is there another way to easily export the data, depending on the contents of the column "Region", which would allow the highlighting to persist? I hope that I have made myself clear, thank you

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Can you set up all your conditional formatting into a master spreadsheet and when you export your data onto a separate sheet, you just copy and paste the values to your master spreadsheet? the conditional ormatting should still be working.

Upvote 0
I'd love to, and that was one of my original attempts, but ran into nothing but brick walls. Can you tell me how to set up a conditional format that highlights in yellow all changes made? This has to be viewable by anyone who would receive this Log, including people with macros turned off and with absolutely no idea how to use Excel in the least, so wouldn't that necessarily exclude using VBA? I also need the ability to remove all highlighting and start over.

Can you set up all your conditional formatting into a master spreadsheet and when you export your data onto a separate sheet, you just copy and paste the values to your master spreadsheet? the conditional ormatting should still be working.

Upvote 0
I do not believe that this functionality exists. My current "solution" is to daily remove all highlighting and text in each Regional Log, filter the Master Log to isolate information, then copy and paste into each Regional Log individually. I'm thankful I only need to do this 4 times.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieDP

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back