How to make a custom form like the standard Data Entry form but customised?

miless2111s

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I want to make a form which behaves like the standard data entry form but customise the layout.

Things I like about the Data Entry form:
* the ability to scroll through the data
* it displays the data currently in the cells
* I can make changes to the data and the change is committed to the cell without needing to press OK etc
* There is a form of search
* I can protect some of the columns so that the contents can't be changed

Things which are not good
* I need to customise the layout
* I need to be able to make some of the fields a lot bigger to display more text
* I want to be able to put explanation text, branding etc. to make the form more 'friendly'

My situation is that I have a very wide sheet containing questions (a series of health check questions auditing aspects of projects) with a series of criteria or example answers to guide the auditor in scoring that aspect of the project. These fields need to be displayed (not edited). Then I have a score field (to be edited) and a series of fields to contain remedial actions, final scores, updates etc. I want to have a form which the auditor can scroll through the questions and complete the scores, actions etc without needing to scroll left and right. I would prefer that they don't need to click enter every time as that might make is slower for them and they may forget to commit the score. I also need them to be able to move up and down the list of questions and edit answers as required.

Seeing the standard data entry form in action gives me hope that this is possible and I've found a number of examples of forms which create new rows (not desirable!) but I am struggling to find examples that do what I want to do (move around defined rows and display / edit their content) which makes me think that I am asking the wrong questions/search queries.

Hopefully you can all help me. Please note that I am not a VBA programmer and as this is strongly in that area I need to either copy stuff (standing on the shoulders of giants) or be gently lead by the hand to enlightenment :)

Thanks in advance.

Miles

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi,
Not sure if it meets with all your requirements but have you seen this product which is available for free:The Spreadsheet Page - Data Form Home
If it does go some way to doing what you want you can buy access to the code from the author.

Dave

Upvote 0
Dave
That certainly looks like an option especially if I can modify where fields appear on the form. I will have a look and download tonight when I get home (I'm very nervous of downloading onto the work machine).
Thanks for that
Miles

Upvote 0
Sadly the offered solution doesn't do the job. Whilst it allows the box to be re-sized which is an excellent addition to the standard it doesn't allow me to manipulate the entry boxes :( These remain one line items which isn't sufficient for the needs I have. I also can't select which columns will be shown on the box.

It does however behave in the "right" way in terms of committing the change to the box as soon as it is made.

So the original request for help still stands if anyone can help me :)

TIA

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back