How to parse a column of data

Drew_

Board Regular
Hi all.

I have an interesting task that I do not know the solution for. I have a range of data from C72:C101 that contains expenses. The data only goes on this sheet because the data comes from somewhere else, so it is copy and pasted into this sheet and there are formulas on another sheet that organize and calculate the data.

This range of expenses contains big ticket and small ticket line items and I'd like to create a formula or code that will separate the two based on the parameter: "show me every item in the range C72:C101 that exceeds 750".

EDIT: I also need the line item to match with the description in the range B72:B101. For example, my Rent expense exceeds 750 so I'd like the formula to populate the number and the line item

It sounds pretty simple but I can't figure out a workaround. In Google Sheets I could run a QUERY but that function isn't available in Excel unfortunately (I don't think). Hopefully this is possible! I appreciate any and all help

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I have an interesting task that I do not know the solution for. I have a range of data from C72:C101 that contains expenses. The data only goes on this sheet because the data comes from somewhere else, so it is copy and pasted into this sheet and there are formulas on another sheet that organize and calculate the data.
This range of expenses contains big ticket and small ticket line items and I'd like to create a formula or code that will separate the two based on the parameter: "show me every item in the range C72:C101 that exceeds 750".
EDIT: I also need the line item to match with the description in the range B72:B101. For example, my Rent expense exceeds 750 so I'd like the formula to populate the number and the line item
It sounds pretty simple but I can't figure out a workaround. In Google Sheets I could run a QUERY but that function isn't available in Excel unfortunately (I don't think). Hopefully this is possible! I appreciate any and all help
###
=IF(E12>750,1+ROW()*0.00000001,"")
descramountshow#####
rent8901###=IF(ISERROR(SMALL($F$12:$F$20,C22)),"",SMALL($F$12:$F$20,C22))
rates7511
elec745
gas7991890
water600=IF(F22="","",OFFSET($F$11,MATCH(F22,$F$12:$F$20,0),-1))
food120
wine10001
beer12001rent
laundry300=IF(F22="","",OFFSET($F$11,MATCH(F22,$F$12:$F$20,0),-2))
1rent8901#####
2rates7511
3gas7991
4wine10001the row()*0.00000001 is to make each row identifiable
5beer12001

<colgroup><col><col span="17"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Wow this is great! Thank you for taking the time to do this for me. It took me a bit to understand the formulas and see what you did but I got it now. This should do the trick for me! Thanks again

Upvote 0
Advanced Filter would be another method that may be similar to Google Sheets Query.
Oldbrewer's formula method has the live update advantage that my preference for Pivot Tables doesn't.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately the data I will be importing does not have headers so a Pivot Table is not an option. The formula method works great, but is there a way I can alter it so that it skips the cells that don't meet the criteria? I am copying the formula down the column but there's blank rows in the middle because it is parsing out the data, as I want it to. I just dont want to show the blank rows. Any fixes? Let me know if I am not being clear

Upvote 0
just add if(e12="","" at the front of my formula and add an extra closing bracket at the end (if necessary) as a blank sum of money will not trigger a 1 + row number timws .00000001

Upvote 0
Unfortunately that does not delete the blank row. I figured out a VBA code to delete the blank rows, but now I am realizing I have another issue related to the formula method you proposed.

When I am entering in new month data, while the data is the same, sometimes there are additional line items that are put in so the formulas pick up the wrong cells because the data gets pushed down due to the additional rows. I can use some sort of OFFSET or MATCH to make sure it always picks up the expenses, no matter where they are, right?

Upvote 0
post some pretend data with blanks and I will have another look at it - if Fluff doesn't beat me to it.....

Upvote 0
For some reason the format in here is all wonky but I hope it helps. The data furthest down is from your formulas, I changed it from 750 to 2000 so thats why there is nothing below "rent". I essentially need a LOOKUP formula that references the "INDIRECT OPERATIONAL EXP" text string rather than the cell it is in

INDIRECT OPERATIONAL EXP
Consultants 50000 45800
Rent 15000 14500
Building Maintenance 500 600

1CONSULTANTS60044
1RENT18400

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sorry I am stuck on this as you seem to need 2 independent offsets - maybe somebody else can help. If not, a macro will do it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back